Is this a valid circuit for running 2 pins from a single switch?

graham4843879

Joined Apr 7, 2020
Hi there,

I'm using a momentary NO push button, and I'd like to connect 2 terminals to a common ground without shorting the 2 terminals with one another.

I've knocked up this circuit and it seems to do what I want, but I figured it would be a good idea to get some advice from wiser people before I use it in my circuit.

oneswitchtwocircuits.png

So my goal is that when the push button is pressed, the black ground wire is connected to both the grey and brown wires, but no current flows between the grey and brown wires in any situation.

The theory was that the facing diodes mean that current can't flow between the grey and brown wires in either direction, but can flow to ground from both of them when the button is pressed.

SamR

Joined Mar 19, 2019
Welcome to AAC! Try mapping the switch using a meter and sketch the circuit? Does it do what you want it to do?

dendad

Joined Feb 20, 2016
Connecting 2 circuits together with diodes like that is quite ok.
For some circuits, the added diode voltage drop of around 0.7V may cause problems, so you may have to take that into account.

graham4843879

Joined Apr 7, 2020
Thank you for all the replies, I really appreciate it! I'm slowly learning, and having more experienced people willing to give tips like this makes it even more fun :)