Is there a way to disable 74LS83 IC?

R0UGHR1D3R

Joined Jul 14, 2020
Hi everyone
Hope you all doing well during this pandemic :)
the question is clear i think
I'd like to know if there is a way to disable 74LS83 ICbin reality, like changing the VCC pin state to 0 (logic state) OR any other way?!

Thank you all for reading and answering :)

Last edited:

R0UGHR1D3R

Joined Jul 14, 2020
What exactly do you want the outputs to be when is it "disabled".
I want them to be disabled, neither 0 nor 1.

The problem is, i have to use two of them, and both 7483 outputs are connected to another IC's input, so their output always merge.
I searched and it seems that the only way to prevent it, is to disable one of them at a time.

AlbertHall

Joined Jun 4, 2014
You could put a multiplexer between the '7483 outputs and whateber they feed so only one of them is connected at any one time.

OBW0549

Joined Mar 2, 2015
The problem is, i have to use two of them, and both 7483 outputs are connected to another IC's input, so their output always merge.
I searched and it seems that the only way to prevent it, is to disable one of them at a time.
No. Don't do that. You don't "disable" a logic chip by removing its power.

Do this the right way, not the wrong way: use a quad 2-input MUX chip, such as a 74LS157, to select which 74LS83's outputs are to be used by the downstream chip.

schmitt trigger

Joined Jul 12, 2010
I want them to be disabled, neither 0 nor 1.
What you are saying has a technical name: tri-state outputs.
In plain English, when you disable the output, it actually disconnects from the outside world, even though the IC itself remains powered up.
There are buffers which have tri-state outputs, but doing a search on a phone using cellular data is cumbersome.
Perhaps someone working from his computer can perform a parametric search.

EDIT; exactly what Cruts mentions!

R0UGHR1D3R

Joined Jul 14, 2020
Wow, thank you all for the explanations and the solution, I'm gonna go try to solve it with a multiplexer

Thank you all again ❤

R0UGHR1D3R

Joined Jul 14, 2020
You could put a multiplexer between the '7483 outputs and whateber they feed so only one of them is connected at any one time.
One more thing, 7483 has 4 output and the other has 4 inputs so they have to connect one to one, what kind of MUX should i use you think?

Edit:
I mean i have 8 inputs for MUX and 4 outputs, and i have to choose 4 of the inputs to go straight (parallel) to output and i have no idea which MUX can do that

OBW0549

Joined Mar 2, 2015
One more thing, 7483 has 4 output and the other has 4 inputs so they have to connect one to one, what kind of MUX should i use you think? I mean i have 8 inputs for MUX and 4 outputs, and i have to choose 4 of the inputs to go straight (parallel) to output and i have no idea which MUX can do that
I already gave you a part number that will do the job. See post #6.

R0UGHR1D3R

Joined Jul 14, 2020
No. Don't do that. You don't "disable" a logic chip by removing its power.

Do this the right way, not the wrong way: use a quad 2-input MUX chip, such as a 74LS157, to select which 74LS83's outputs are to be used by the downstream chip.
Sorry for late reply, i just skipped this post somehow, IDK
Thank you so much again :)