Is there a way to bench test gauge sweeps on instrument cluster?

Eversr007

Joined Apr 10, 2016
This is a instrument cluster out of mid 2000 gm vehicle. I repair quite a few of these but always have to have the vehicle to test or fix what usually goes wrong and hope for the best. But was wanting a way to bench test all the gauges. I probably can't just apply a small voltage each gauge to make sure everything works. Or would it need to be a signal of some sort. I have seen some things on youtube where they were making the gauges sweep with it hooked to a computer. How hard would any of this be to do. Thanks in advanceIMG_3128.JPGIMG_3129.JPG

Mickster

Joined Jan 10, 2010
If you can find a way to enter the test menu for the particular cluster, there may be a gauge sweep function there.
I know there may not be a test menu on all clusters, but there is on certain ones, BMW is an example.

bwilliams60

Joined Nov 18, 2012
The best way to do these is to make a test bench using an Ecm and a few potentiometers to simulate the sending units. There are ways to simulate speed and tach but I am not sure how they are simulating the class 2 data to simulate CAN BUS signals. You can use a sniffer to record and replay them.
On another note, you could check out JimSTim or MTS9000. I think if you send a pulse generated signal into A4 and A5, you can probably get the speedo and tach to work. The rest should be on pots.

Last edited:

cork_ie

Joined Oct 8, 2011
ok thanks I'll have to check into this further.
By far the best way is to power up the cluster and connect the diagnostic pin(s) of the instrument to a diagnostic scanner. Generally under "functional tests" there are sweep tests for the analogue gauges and often additional tests for warning light bulbs and LCD displays.

Eversr007

Joined Apr 10, 2016
So I have a Snap On Solus ultra scanner and I can sweep the guages when in the vehicle. But will it let me run test without the vehicle Cause it always ask abut vehicle info and vin number. If that would work how would I wire it up.

bwilliams60

Joined Nov 18, 2012
See post #3. A diagnostic scanner does not provide CAN BUS data which the IC needs to sweep the gauges as you would like to do. You need to have the vehicle PCM and simulate the various sensors or you need to sniff a good CANBUS and feed the data back into the cluster. For this you would also need to alter the data to perofrm sweep tests.

bmiller2

Joined Oct 11, 2017
hello fellas, again , i am a newbie so please forgive... where is the best source for me to get schematics for vehicle instrument clusters?

bwilliams60

Joined Nov 18, 2012
Just FYI. Stay on one thread with your questions. If there is someone that can answer them, they will.
So to answer your question, here is what I can tell you. Not sure what country you are in, but there is Mitchell OnDemand, AllData and Chilton as well as the OEM dealers. If you want, you might get lucky with Google or some of the third party sites that answer questions on the Internet. Best to have mechanic friends in the business and network a lot. Also go to vehicle specific forums. These are the most common places you will find schematics. If you need one for the compass, I can get that for you.

cork_ie

Joined Oct 8, 2011
See post #3. A diagnostic scanner does not provide CAN BUS data which the IC needs to sweep the gauges as you would like to do. You need to have the vehicle PCM and simulate the various sensors or you need to sniff a good CANBUS and feed the data back into the cluster. For this you would also need to alter the data to perofrm sweep tests.
I can assure you any modern diagnostic scanner will communicate on CAN .
OP I Beta test for Snap-On and I can assure you if the Inst Cluster supports sweep tests then the scanner will do it on the bench as well as on the car. You will need to find the B+ , ign + and ground pins on the cluster and power it up. Then get an old 16 pin socket and connect + to pin 16, neg to pins 4&5 and the CAN pins on the inst Panel to the diag socket. You may also need to connect a diagnostic line if diagnostics are not over CAN (You will need to check pinouts on wiring diagram)
For Solus just select manufacturer, year vehicle and engine type. Use manual ID , Auto ID will not work in most cases without a BCM or ECU connected.Then check comms by reading codes - there will be many as you are missing several inputs. Then go to "Functional Tests" and you should be able to do the sweep tests.