Is there a TV with Android as OS ?

Externet

Joined Nov 29, 2005
Does such thing exist ? An any-brand LCD/LED smart television running with Android operative system capable of browsing the web ?

I see some 'boxes' for interfacing to ethernet, but no TVs. Anyone knows ?

Ramussons

Joined May 3, 2013
All smart TV's run on Android or its derivatives.
Sony, Samsung, LG, Vu ....... a whole lot of them.

They can browse the web, download apps from the Play Store ......

Externet

Joined Nov 29, 2005
Thanks.
Nothing special, just want to buy a TV that allows internet browsing to 'tune' to overseas stations sites. Do not care a bit for Rokus, Hulus, Netflixes, Amazons nor others alike. The 'smart' TV I have has all those, appears to run Androidish, but allows no firmware update to get browsing. Any future purchase should not fall in firmware obsolescence, be capable of updating its OS, with no surprises from broadcasters messaging ..."You cannot see our programming with such browser version", as already happens (NHK).

Buying an external box running Android to browse internet is available, but has a bunch of grey areas about legalese and copyrighting of applications/software and weird restrictions. As I would not know how to cope with those things, prefer avoiding them.

Currently have a spare laptop hooked to the TV HDMI and works very well from ethernet doing everything I want; perhaps am evaluating if could get rid of extra bulk. The extra bulk is two eight feet parabolics and their corresponding receivers and cabling.