Is there a straightforward way to divide one sinusoidal voltage by another sinusoidal voltage?

pcory

Joined Dec 5, 2018
I need to divide two in-phase sinusoidal voltages, e.g., V1/V2 to obtain a single number output. This number will be used to identify peak values since V1 is frequency-dependent and V2 remains constant. Is there a straightforward way to accomplish this?

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
Welcome to AAC!

You can multiply two sine waves.
Division is a quirky thing. A nasty thing happens when the denominator is zero.

ebp

Joined Feb 8, 2018
Non sequitur. You can't have in-phase sine waves with one frequency dependent and one constant.
I think he means that the amplitude of one signal is frequency dependent, the other is fixed amplitude and that both signals are the same frequency and in phase - depending on exactly what you mean by "in phase" when amplitude modulation is at play.

Analog Devices used to be the go-to company for integrated multiplier and divider ICs. I have no idea what they still offer along those lines.

pcory

Joined Dec 5, 2018
Welcome to AAC!

You can multiply two sine waves.
Division is a quirky thing. A nasty thing happens when the denominator is zero.
Fortunately, that won't happen with this circuit. The two waveforms are both shifted at least 1/2 their magnitude so as to be completely monophasic. Will that avoid the 'nasty thing'?

pcory

Joined Dec 5, 2018
I think he means that the amplitude of one signal is frequency dependent, the other is fixed amplitude and that both signals are the same frequency and in phase - depending on exactly what you mean by "in phase" when amplitude modulation is at play.

Analog Devices used to be the go-to company for integrated multiplier and divider ICs. I have no idea what they still offer along those lines.
Thanks. I'll check out their offerings.

pcory

Joined Dec 5, 2018
If one signal is constant then why do you want to divide them to get the peak value of the one that varies? :confused:
Good point. I wasn’t being entirely accurate. Most of the time the denominator voltage will be fixed but that won’t be true all the time. What we’re looking for is a way to follow Impedance values searching for resonance peaks. The actual Impedance value is not important for our application but finding the critical frequency is.

danadak

Joined Mar 10, 2018
Processor sampling the signals, the math becomes easy. In fact UP with two SARs,
synch sampling of both waveforms might be useful.

What is the freq of the signals ? Latency you will tolerate to get asnwer, in cycles of
signal or time units.

Regards, Dana.