Is there a "Printer Friendly" page display setting?

RogueRose

Joined Oct 10, 2014
I know a lot of forums have a link on the thread page that changes the way the page is displayed so that it is most efficient for printing. Does this forum have that? Am I missing seeing it or something? If not, is there any special tips to printing a long thread or multi page thread/?

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
Who prints anymore? Why would you want to when it is always available online? You sound like my 93 year old father. He printed everything. Had ream and reams full of paper printed from websites that I needed to toss out when he passed away.

RogueRose

Joined Oct 10, 2014
Who prints anymore? Why would you want to when it is always available online? You sound like my 93 year old father. He printed everything. Had ream and reams full of paper printed from websites that I needed to toss out when he passed away.
Print to PDF. I guess it would work for printing to paper, but I save stuff on PDF often for when I'm not online and I review saved files for reference. I've used this a lot and it's just as fast or faster than getting online if you file/name things when you save it.

djsfantasi

Joined Apr 11, 2010
I’m not 93 years old and I often print to paper. Sometimes when designing, I need multiple references simultaneously. I could swap between multiple windows. If they are there; I work mostly on my smartphone, so this isn’t a viable solution.

Or I can print out multiple data sheets, pinouts or language reference pages and surround myself with them. When I have a question, I look left, right, or around and the data is there. I can mark up a pinout and create a working schematic.

Paper had its advantages.

BR-549

Joined Sep 22, 2013
Paper can evoke your tactile senses to the problem. Tactile deployment has always helped serious contemplation. And if I'm not mistaken our studies and research has proved this. Ask any bartender.

I feel 93.

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
I print many things. It lets me do things without needing a computing device.
  • Checking schematics and board layouts for correctness or optimization.
  • Studying functionality of a schematic drawn by someone else.
  • Pin out diagrams for commonly used components that I don't care to memorize.
  • When reading books, I can remember approximate location of information important to me: left or right page, top/center/bottom, and approximate page number.

djsfantasi

Joined Apr 11, 2010
I print many things. It lets me do things without needing a computing device.
  • Checking schematics and board layouts for correctness or optimization.
  • Studying functionality of a schematic drawn by someone else.
  • Pin out diagrams for commonly used components that I don't care to memorize.
  • When reading books, I can remember approximate location of information important to me: left or right page, top/center/bottom, and approximate page number.
That’s another use for hard copy. I print a schematic and my PCB layout before ordering. Then, I use highlighters to mark each and every connection on both. Sometimes, I may use different colors. Pink for Vcc, green for ground and blue for everything else. That way, I feel confident that all connections have transferred. And in case of an error, Bam, there it is.