Is Switch Wired Correctly

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
One side will Always be open, either 1-2 or 1-3.
I think what you are looking for is take connection 3 to 1 and disconnect the GND from 1.

ThePanMan

Joined Mar 13, 2020
Is that supposed to be a barrel connector? A power port? Looks to me like pin 1 is the center pin of a barrel connector. Pins 2 & 3 open when the mating connector is plugged in.
1675719994888.png

Jon Chandler

Joined Jun 12, 2008
"COM" on the switch means it's the common terminal of the switch, which one or the other terminals are connected to depending on the switch position. It has nothing to do with the common or ground cconnection of the rest of the board.

You need two connections to the switch – incoming power to the "common" terminal, and circuit connection to power to one of the outside terminals (I believe they are identified as NO and NC on the datasheet). Either terminal is fine, but if the switch is labeled on/off, it should be the the terminal closest to "ON". Leave the other terminal disconnected.

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
Updated. I took 3 to 1, but not sure which pin is voltage.
You still haven't described what you want the switch to do. It appears that you're using an SPDT switch when SPST would have been sufficient. If that's the case, you could have left the NC terminal unconnected.

Schematics are easier to read if you don't have text placed over wires, components, or other text. I assume that the DZ254* components are headers. What connects to them?

Your schematics will look "better" if you ditch the colors and grid.

You didn't need to connect pins 2 and 3 of the power jack. When you connect a supply to the jack, pin 2 will be connected to the outside of the female plug. That's useful in cases where there's a battery to be switched out of the circuit when power from an adapter is applied.

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
To connect power to circuit.
What happens if you connect power to a header and have the switch closed? What happens if you connect power from all three connections? Why do you need so many power connections?
Not sure I can but will give it a try.
Printing to PDF in black and white will ditch the distracting colors. Nothing screams amateur more than colored schematics.

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
Connection to Pin 3 is a bit redundant, but should still work OK.
BTW, you used an earth GND symbol, is the common actually at earth potential.?

clangray

Joined Nov 4, 2018
You still haven't described what you want the switch to do. It appears that you're using an SPDT switch when SPST would have been sufficient. If that's the case, you could have left the NC terminal unconnected.

Schematics are easier to read if you don't have text placed over wires, components, or other text. I assume that the DZ254* components are headers. What connects to them?

Your schematics will look "better" if you ditch the colors and grid.

You didn't need to connect pins 2 and 3 of the power jack. When you connect a supply to the jack, pin 2 will be connected to the outside of the female plug.
Ok, resolved except for your schematic advice: are you saying to not include component information. Without them I make it harder for the reader to find the info?

I've rewired jack and switch -POWER_BOARD_SCH_3+.png