Is my PCB toast?

crono141

Joined Jan 22, 2017
Hey all.

I purchased a damaged component from off ebay (at a discount) with the idea being a simple repair. The micro USB port broke off. Well I received it today and popped it open to review the damage, and here it is.

Is this PCB salvageable? Bottom side is undamaged. Thanks.

Attachments

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
Welcome to AAC!
Is this PCB salvageable?
clipimage.jpg
Picture isn't very good, but most likely salvageable if you can remove excess solder without causing more damage that isn't repairable. Some copper tape might be useful for the missing leftmost trace. Use wires to restore connectivity to the others.

Deleted member 115935

Joined Dec 31, 1969
From the look at the amount of flux around that board, if it was not you, then some one else has had a good go at that board.
If it was the person you purchased it from, then they seem to know a few things about soldering, but not cleaning, so I'd say its beyond reasonable hope.

crono141

Joined Jan 22, 2017
This is a wireless rock band adapter for Xbox one. They are pretty expensive on the second hand market and so I jumped at this one since it only was missing the usb port. Figured worst case is i'd directly solder wires to the pads.

I've gotten my voltmeter out and verified that the Traces are still good, but very very small. I've got 3 ports on order to see if I can get lucky. I did have to wire a jumper in because the positive 5v had a busted trace.