Is my info about clipping correct

PaPiャSly

Joined Dec 25, 2022
Clipping happems when you feed a subwoofer more power and it is physically unable to do the wave causing the clipping?

BobTPH

Joined Jun 5, 2013
Clipping generally refers to what happens in the amplifier, not in the speaker itself. If you feed the speaker too much power it will overheat or actually hit the physical limits of the cone movement, possibly damaging it.

Audioguru again

Joined Oct 21, 2019
Maybe you are talking about a high power subwoofer in a car's trunk (boot)? They frequently make farting noises caused by the weather seal leaking bursts of air.
I had only one car that had a sub-woofer. It sounded perfect and the amplifier had so much extra power that I never had it loud enough to cause clipping or farting.

LowQCab

Joined Nov 6, 2012
"Clipping" is what happens when You increase the Input-Signal going into an Amplifier
past the point that the Power-Supply of the Amplifier is maxed-out
and can't can't deliver any higher Voltage to the Speaker.

Clipping can occur at any Frequency,
but Speakers are generally less efficient at reproducing Lower-Frequencies,
and therefore, require more Power at Lower-Frequencies.
So, Clipping at Low-Frequencies is much more common,
because everybody wants more Bass.

The Efficiency of the combination of the Speaker, and the Box that its mounted in,
are more important than the amount of brute-Power available to drive it,
and should be addressed as the first priority in designing the system.

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
An amplifier clips when it is driven into the non-linear portion of operation. So to completely destroy your subwoofer you need more an amplifier with more power.
To avoid destroying the subwoofer you need to lower the level of the power feeding it. This should also reduce the amplifier clipping. Speakers don't clip, but they do distort and I have seen people totally shred a set of speakers by playing them far louder than they were able to handle.

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
Clipping happems when you feed a subwoofer more power and it is physically unable to do the wave causing the clipping?
NO, actual clipping does not happen in the speaker.
Actual clipping in an amplifier happens as the active devices, either tubes or transistors, are driven beyond their linear operating points and either cut off (stop conducting current), or saturate (reach the limit of their conduction). Both of these conditions result in a lot of distortion, mostly harmonic distortion, but seldom results in physical damage unless done for a long time..
Certainly a speaker can also be driven to the point of distortion, but that mostly due to being driven beyond it's actual power handling capability. And it often causes permanent damage to the speaker.