Is my CPU burned and how to repair it

ArakelTheDragon

Joined Nov 18, 2016
I have Acer Aspire E1-510, when I start it, the lights go on, but the display does not, when I plug a cable to an external monitor nothing happens. Since the graphics are in the display, I believe the CPU is burned and the whole motherboard should be replaced since the CPU is soldered to the motherboard. Here is a picture of the CPU, what do you think?

Edit: The USBs are charging my phone when I connect it.

Attachments

Last edited:

AlbertHall

Joined Jun 4, 2014
It sounds like it could equally be the graphics circuitry.
Do you hear any error beeps?
When you power it up, do you hear the hard drive working (like it might be booting up)?
Does the processor get warm?

ArakelTheDragon

Joined Nov 18, 2016
It sounds like it could equally be the graphics circuitry.
The graphics card is in the processor, its Intel HD.

Do you hear any error beeps?
No beep sounds.

When you power it up, do you hear the hard drive working (like it might be booting up)?
The hard drive and RAM are removed, but that shouldnt stop the computer from loading the main screen and bios options.

Does the processor get warm?
I dont know about this.

AlbertHall

Joined Jun 4, 2014
The graphics needs a RAM buffer so there will probably no graphics if there is no RAM. Stick some RAM in it and see what happens.

ArakelTheDragon

Joined Nov 18, 2016
Doesn't works with RAM and hard drive. I made a mistake, only the power light gets turned on, the other lights don't work (battery, hard disk, internet).

Last edited:

AlbertHall

Joined Jun 4, 2014
If the processor stays cool then it might be the power control circuit (though that might be detecting a problem anyway, including the processor).

ArakelTheDragon

Joined Nov 18, 2016
If the processor stays cool then it might be the power control circuit (though that might be detecting a problem anyway, including the processor).
How can I find out for certan? I have a multimer and I know how to use it. I also have a screwdriver with a cable attached to it, to check is there a connection between 2 points on the PCB.

If the power circuit is the problem, why does the battery get charged and why does the fan spin? Only the Lightbulb LED is on, the rest dont work at all.

ArakelTheDragon

Joined Nov 18, 2016
It is pretty much impossible to find motherboard faults with a multimeter.
Why is that so? If there is no power or the power is reduced, I should find it without a problem by checking the voltage? And if it is impossible, what do you think the problem is from these symptoms:

Only the "lightbulb" led is on, the rest are not working, the fan is working, the display does not start at all, by connecting the laptop to another display there is no difference, the picture of the processor shows something like a heated plastic on one side, is that ok?

Attachments

AlbertHall

Joined Jun 4, 2014
The supplies are very well protected and fairly 'intelligent'. Let's suppose you measure no power. How do you tell whether the supply is faulty or if it has detected a problem and shut down or even not started up in the first place.
It is possible to do this sort of thing but you need to know, in detail, what protections are in place and how the power up sequence works.

I used to work for a company which did component level repairs on Apple laptops and desktops using only multimeter and 'scope. This depended on having a large number of boards and discovering, by intelligent guesswork, which components to change given certain symptoms. This method worked for about 90% of the boards, the remaining 10% being junked.

tom_s

Joined Jun 27, 2014
if it has, check the onboard cmos battery, have had some new pc's that refused to start because of a near dead cmos battery

i'm assuming you've done power down? removed laptop battery and left unplugged for a while?

ArakelTheDragon

Joined Nov 18, 2016
1. Removing the battery does not work.
2. I believe the processor does not get heated, despite that I am not certain since I removed the thermal pad and now there is an air gap.
3. On the pictures I show which usb and light are working and checked the capacitor there - its charged to 3V.
4. This thing does not have a battery, you can see the white speace where there is suppose to be a battery, but there isnt one on both sides (no socket for a battery). Check the pictures for more information.

Attachments