Is my circuit ready to converted into PCB?

apo12

Joined Mar 5, 2023
Hello everyone, I hope you are having a great day.
I have a quick question.
I am new to custom PCB design and i want your opinion about a circuit i designed in order to control a sumo robot.
I have worked with those parts again and this is how i would connect them if i had to to it with wires.
But now i want to convert my circuit into a PCB.
Do you think i have to add anything extra to the circuit or it will be okay?
To better understand my question, for example when i look at off the shelf boards they have a capacitor for example and i am not sure why (https://www.jsumo.com/easyboard-v10-arduino-robot-controller-with-arduino-nano).
Thank you for your time.

circuit.png

Last edited by a moderator:

sagor

Joined Mar 10, 2019
You should put bypass capacitors between Vss , Vin and Vs to ground. Usually one puts 0.1 uF and a 1000pF between power and ground, as close to the device as possible. This is to reduce any electrical noise from reaching the device.

apo12

Joined Mar 5, 2023
You should put bypass capacitors between Vss , Vin and Vs to ground. Usually one puts 0.1 uF and a 1000pF between power and ground, as close to the device as possible. This is to reduce any electrical noise from reaching the device.
Thank you.
Is there any brief guide in order to decide what capacitors to use?
Do you think is 100uF ok?
c with caps.png

crutschow

Joined Mar 14, 2008
Do you think is 100uF ok?
You can put one 100μF electrolytic on the board, but each IC needs a 0.1μF ceramic across its power pins.
A large electrolytic can suppress the lower frequency noise, but does not work as well for high frequencies, which the small ceramic capacitor does.

Also it would be good to build the PCB with a copper ground-plane for all the circuit grounds.

apo12

Joined Mar 5, 2023
You can put one 100μF electrolytic on the board, but each IC needs a 0.1μF ceramic across its power pins.
A large electrolytic can suppress the lower frequency noise, but does not work as well for high frequencies, which the small ceramic capacitor does.

Also it would be good to build the PCB with a copper ground-plane for all the circuit grounds.
Alright thank you for the advice!!

apo12

Joined Mar 5, 2023
This video is a classic resource for information about bypass caps. We worth the time it takes to watch it, even if you know about bypass capacitors already but especially if you don’t!

Oh it seems good. I will definatelly check it out. Thank you.

apo12

Joined Mar 5, 2023
Have you tried to simulate it? Or implemented in real life? If it works properly in real life, you can proceed with the PCB.
I will search to find softwares that simulate circuits. If hou have anyhting to suggest that would be nice. Thanks for the advice.

dcbingaman

Joined Jun 30, 2021
I will search to find softwares that simulate circuits. If hou have anyhting to suggest that would be nice. Thanks for the advice.
Not sure if you have used a solderless breadboard in the past or not. Being this circuit is not overly complicated it would not be difficult to put it together on a solderless breadboard and test it which will save a lot of headaches when you go to make the PCB. You may need to select slightly different packages for the breadboarded circuit, that is DIP equivalent vs SOIC for example.

apo12

Joined Mar 5, 2023
Not sure if you have used a solderless breadboard in the past or not. Being this circuit is not overly complicated it would not be difficult to put it together on a solderless breadboard and test it which will save a lot of headaches when you go to make the PCB. You may need to select slightly different packages for the breadboarded circuit, that is DIP equivalent vs SOIC for example.
Yes i have worked with breadboard before(mostly for Arduino staff). I asked for the simulation because i dont have the parts yet to test it. But i will definatelly do it. Thank you.

dcbingaman

Joined Jun 30, 2021
Yes i have worked with breadboard before(mostly for Arduino staff). I asked for the simulation because i dont have the parts yet to test it. But i will definatelly do it. Thank you.
Part of the problem with simulations; There is plenty of simulation software out there for that but not ones that have the models for the parts. The L293DN for example and or microcontrollers.

dcbingaman

Joined Jun 30, 2021
Being that 95% or greater of this application is software driven, have you written any software yet? After the software there is not much here left to simulate.