is it possible to connect arrays of solar cell in parallel

weide83

Joined Jan 28, 2008
Hi,

i have some question of connecting arrays of solar cell together in parallel to a load.

i wonder whether the voltage across each similar array of cells will different when light intensity and currents draw by each array are different.
if the voltage across each arrays varies, is there any solution to solve it, ensuring currents is being draw from all arrays of cells at one time in a very efficient way.

GFTMC

Joined Jan 20, 2008
AS much as I know about Solar Cells, the voltage is a constant number, and the current varies according to the intensity of light.

thingmaker3

Joined May 16, 2005
Solar cells work just like any other power source. Put them in parallel for more current. Put them in series for more voltage. Do both for more both.

weide83

Joined Jan 28, 2008
But according to the I-V curve, am i right to say that the voltage across the solar cell will be dependant on the amount of current draw. what if the voltage across each array of cell if different. for example having a voltage of 5V and 12V. is that any better way of connect this two voltage source together without much losses.

arthur92710

Joined Jun 25, 2007
What is the I-V curve? Isent current and voltage inversely related? As P=IV
so 2v and 5A = 10W and 5V and 2A = 10W, so there are no losses. But in power lines the voltage is high and current is low, this makes it more efficient to send power, the wire has a small resistance but over 100 miles that adds up and.. well you get it.