Is it correct to say that two connected terminals are "shorted"?

seanspotatobusiness

Joined Sep 17, 2016
Sometimes a ribbon style connector will have multiple terminals connected to each other so they can carry more current for power supply. Is it correct to say that they are "shorted" or does shorted imply that they can be disconnected? I can't use the term connected because it has more than one meaning in the context I'm using it and I hate ambiguity.

strantor

Joined Oct 3, 2010
Sure, they are shorted. That is the exact meaning of shorted. However shorted is generally implied with a negative connotation (something that is inadvertently connected and shouldn't be), although no always.

DickCappels

Joined Aug 21, 2008
You will probably get both answers here. To me "shorted" means that for all practical purposes there is zero ohms between two points.

If you tell me your cable is shorted I will first assume that something is wrong like two conductors that are not supposed to be connected together by a low resistance path are indeed shorted together.

Reloadron

Joined Jan 15, 2015
short cir·cuit
SHôrt ˈsərkət/
noun
  1. 1.
    in a device, an electrical circuit of lower resistance than that of a normal circuit, typically resulting from the unintended contact of components and consequent accidental diversion of the current.
verb
  1. 1.
    (with reference to an electrical device) malfunction or fail, or cause to do this, as a result of a short circuit across it.
    "the birds caused the electricity supply to short-circuit"
My definition would run with that of Dick in his post #3. I just see a "short" in the electrical world as a very low resistance between two points. I do have a sister who is very short but that is an entirely different type of short. :)

Ron

Externet

Joined Nov 29, 2005
'Short' circuit means that the current path is not on a 'long' intended path for the circuit to operate properly.

/---------------------------------------------------------->C1>--------------------------------------------(+)
Light bulb
\---------------------------------------------------------->C2>--------------------------------------------(-)

The light bulb connects to the (+), (-) power supply with connectors C1 and C2 as in a plug. The light bulb works as intended, current flowing trough it and trough all wiring following the 'long' path.

If the wiring attached to the plug/connector becomes loose and C1 contacts C2; the current from the supply takes the 'easier' shortest path from (+) to C1 to C2 to (-) instead of flowing trough the light bulb. That is a 'short' circuit or 'shorted' circuit or 'short' path.

A contact/connection should not be named 'shorted' if that is its intended condition for the circuit to work properly.
'Shorted' in common slang is a bad, senseless way to express malfunctioning. If a fuse is removed, some people call it 'shorted' because it is not working. Very wrong.

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
I agree with #6 and #8. The term can be meaningful to the audience in the right context, if the negative connotation is ruled out. But then you end up with less efficient wording than "connected in parallel" or "connected in parallel within the cable" if you need to distinguish that the connection is not made in the terminals.

If you need precise language to convey your meaning, you simply have to use it. A one-word shortcut is not likely to convey the same meaning to all readers.

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
I would agree that "shorted" is not the correct word to use in this context.
The word short has a meaning of low or small.
  • They were short on supplies and headed back to base camp.
  • We got short changed and didn't receive value for our money.
  • She took a shortcut and finished first.
  • I shorted United shares and made a killing on the market.
  • He got the short end of the stick and had to work on the night shift.
  • The power shorted to ground and blew the fuse.

"paralleled" or "ganged" would be preferred.

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
Sometimes a ribbon style connector will have multiple terminals connected to each other so they can carry more current for power supply. Is it correct to say that they are "shorted" or does shorted imply that they can be disconnected? I can't use the term connected because it has more than one meaning in the context I'm using it and I hate ambiguity.
Depending on the context of use, using "shorted" will probably get the point across. But a better description is "paralleled". Another commonly used term is "ganged" but this is more common in the world of mechanical things like switches and relays and less so in the world of pure electronics. So if your audience is from the latter world, it may take them a bit to figure out what you mean -- but most will probably figure it out from the context.

Reloadron

Joined Jan 15, 2015
How often has anyone heard someone say when referring to an intermittent light switch "Oh it has a short in it"? I no longer even try to correct them as let's face it, they would not understand. Try explaining the connection is intermittent to those who say a switch has a short in it. Good luck on that note. :)

Ron

djsfantasi

Joined Apr 11, 2010
I believe that to eschew obfuscation*, the only correct answer to the original question is "No".

"Shorted" should be reserved for cases where there is an unintentional, unplanned connection between any two parts of a circuit.

IMHO

* "to be clear"

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
I believe that to eschew obfuscation*, the only correct answer to the original question is "No".

"Shorted" should be reserved for cases where there is an unintentional, unplanned connection between any two parts of a circuit.

IMHO

* "to be clear"
There are lots of times when it is perfectly reasonable to call an intentional connection between two parts of a circuit a "short". Configuration options are frequently done via the provision of shorting jumpers, for instance. Characterizing circuit models is often done via measuring short-circuit and open-circuit behavior. Shorting the terminals of a circuit together in that case is very much planned and intentional, so if we shouldn't call it a "short", what should we call it?

Reloadron

Joined Jan 15, 2015
So what would you call this intentional shorting bar from -ve output to GND?

After careful thought, very deep thought and careful consideration I would call that shorting bar a shorting bar. I have always called shorting bars on instrumentation shorting bars, I guess it was in my nature. I also call these shorting bars, shorting bars.

Shorting Bars.png

I guess I am just too old to change. There are some similar hardware I call shorting strips.

Ron

ErnieM

Joined Apr 24, 2011
Context is all regarding a short, shorting, and a short circuit.

"Short" simply means connecting two points together. It is strongly dependent on other circumstances if this is a desired condition or not.

One may short two points for some desired result, but do look to avoid causing a short circuit.