Is it a spycam? I need help.

bertus

Joined Apr 5, 2008
Hello,

It is likely not a spycam.
To me it looks like a distance sensor.
It could be used to detect if there is someone in the room.

Bertus

chntkmk

Joined Aug 3, 2019
Hello,

It is likely not a spycam.
To me it looks like a distance sensor.
It could be used to detect if there is someone in the room.

Bertus
Hi Bertus,
Thank you for your fast reply. Do you have any idea why someone put something like this on bathroom's ceiling? Can it trigger to start any other device?

BobaMosfet

Joined Jul 1, 2009
An occupancy sensor is usually used to turn lights or fan on/off by knowing when someone is there or not. Chase the wires. Use a tone-generator (inductive) to trace them.

oz93666

Joined Sep 7, 2010
Hmmm ... the clue could be the black dome thing , looks like an IR detector ...

This is what a modern fire detector looks like ...
The small black thing detects infra red in flames , the one you have is older and bigger ...

Put a flame close to it and it will probably beep loudly

oz93666

Joined Sep 7, 2010
Here's the same sensor that you have in your picture ...

An IR sensor used to detect flames , (not movement they are white and bigger) . Although it could perhaps be an occupancy sensor , humans emit IR ...

Last edited:

chntkmk

Joined Aug 3, 2019
Hmmm ... the clue could be the black dome thing , looks like an IR detector ...

This is what a modern fire detector looks like ...
The small black thing detects infra red in flames , the one you have is older and bigger ...

Put a flame close to it and it will probably beep loudly
Hi,
What you wrote makes sense. 15cm away from this device, there is a speaker embedded into the ceiling but unfortunately I can not test the device as you said. Thank you and all other participants for helping me.

oz93666

Joined Sep 7, 2010
Ah ,,, just noticed this is in a bathroom ceiling ... almost certainly a human detector to switch on extraction fan ... probably what you think is a speaker is the grill and fan for extracting air.

SamR

Joined Mar 19, 2019
IR receiver on top (the dark one) and either an IR transmitter (the clear one) or phototransistor/diode or LED on the bottom. Most likely a transmitter which means motion instead of heat detector?