is GSM gone?

smp4616

Joined Oct 31, 2019
Hi, I'm looking for a module to use with an iot project, tried the sim800c but couldn't get a network connection, then started reading that gsm has been phased out in the US, can anyone clarify this for me? The module is a GSM module according to the manufacturer, so could this be the cause? If so, are there standalone cell radio modules that would be better?

smp4616

Joined Oct 31, 2019
I keep reading that AT&T is turning off their 2G network late 2019, I believe gsm is a 2g mode? I am new to this area of radio so I could be totally misunderstanding what's happening

smp4616

Joined Oct 31, 2019
I found some things about the module, it is considered 2g, and 2g networks in the us are now basically nonexistent. I found a newer module that is more expensive but uses LTE... also found a lot of articles about not using 2g modules in new designs

MrAl

Joined Jun 17, 2014
Hi,

My service provider did away with 2G several years ago. I had to get a new phone because the one i was using was only 2G. The new phone opened up a new world for me though as the old one only did phone and text, no data.