Is Google's New Image Search Is A Flop?

Glenn Holland

Joined Dec 26, 2014
I've noticed that Google's launched a new image search feature.

However, the image search intends to match the actual visual content instead of matching to the text.

For example, if I do a text search for "volcanoes", I get images of volcanoes. However if I click "search for similar images" I get images of everything from dogs, vegetables, tires, etc. If the image search is that bad, I wonder if facial recognition really works.

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
I've noticed that Google's launched a new image search feature.

However, the image search intends to match the actual visual content instead of matching to the text.

For example, if I do a text search for "volcanoes", I get images of volcanoes. However if I click "search for similar images" I get images of everything from dogs, vegetables, tires, etc. If the image search is that bad, I wonder if facial recognition really works.
New? It has been there for years. Do you live under a rock? It has other features that are very useful. Read the instructions.

Hypatia's Protege

Joined Mar 1, 2015
@Glenn Holland

Granting that the 'Visually Similar Images' feature often returns bizarre results -- I have, nonetheless, occasionally found said feature surprisingly useful (e.g. identification of manufacturers via searches on photographs of components, etc...)

By way of demonstration I've taken the liberty of searching your avatar with reasonable results?

I wonder if facial recognition really works.
FWIW, in apparent (albeit highly uncharacteristic) deference to personal privacy concerns, Google Earth 'blurs' visages (and [too] many patterns 'mistaken' for same:rolleyes:) -- Perhaps Search-By-Image is similarly 'crippled'?

Best regards
HP:)

Glenn Holland

Joined Dec 26, 2014
New? It has been there for years. Do you live under a rock? It has other features that are very useful. Read the instructions.
Wrong as Hell.

This latest feature started about 3 months ago and it's been giving bizarre results that have nothing to do with the original search.

Hypatia's Protege

Joined Mar 1, 2015
Wrong as Hell.

This latest feature started about 3 months ago and it's been giving bizarre results that have nothing to do with the original search.
I can attest that the "Search By Image" feature has been available for awhile (at least a couple years?) --- But now I'm curious -- please link or otherwise direct us to the new feature:)

Many thanks

Best regards
HP

Glenn Holland

Joined Dec 26, 2014
I can attest that the "Search By Image" feature has been available for awhile (at least a couple years?) --- But now I'm curious -- please link or otherwise direct us to the new feature:)

Many thanks

Best regards
HP
Just click "Search by image" and it takes you to another page that has "Very similar images" at the bottom. However, the very similar images are totally unrelated to the original search.

That's the problem I'm referring to. Maybe it's my imagination (I don't use drugs), but I haven't seen that happening before.

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
Just click "Search by image" and it takes you to another page that has "Very similar images" at the bottom. However, the very similar images are totally unrelated to the original search.

That's the problem I'm referring to. Maybe it's my imagination (I don't use drugs), but I haven't seen that happening before.
What haven't you seen? The "view similar images" or the array of bad results when you used "view similar images" that are worse than when you used it in the past?

Glenn Holland

Joined Dec 26, 2014
What haven't you seen? The "view similar images" or the array of bad results when you used "view similar images" that are worse than when you used it in the past?
That seems to be the problem.

All I can say is that this seems to be a new occurrence.

FWIW -- It is my experience that the quality of Google Search results (all search modes) is a bit of an 'ebb and flow' proposition:rolleyes: --- Given time I expect It'll 'rebound':)

Best regards
HP

Alec_t

Joined Sep 17, 2013
Google says:
"When you search using an image, your search results may include:
Similar images
Sites that include the image
Other sizes of the image you searched for"

The 'sites' bit accounts for your odd images.

The 'sites' bit accounts for your odd images.
As well.... Then too, in my experience, 'hits' coming under the category of 'Visually Similar Images' are not infrequently way off! --- The wiles of topography? Lackadaisical coding? -- Who knows?:rolleyes: - Google moves in mysterious ways -- and all that!:D

Best regards
HP

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
As well.... Then too, in my experience, 'hits' coming under the category of 'Visually Similar Images' are not infrequently way off --- The wiles of topography? Lackadaisical coding? -- Who knows?:rolleyes: - Google moves in mysterious ways -- and all that!:D

Best regards
HP
There were (are) some funny results on reddit.com that are way off. Especially interesting were result when people searched for skin rashes - they return everything from pacific island sunsets to red sports cars parked on a beach.

I tried it to search for obscure electrical connectors. It has worked a few times but not so well most times. More used for the humor - but I haven't used it in a year or more.

DickCappels

Joined Aug 21, 2008
Hey! They are visually similar to according to Google's robots!

I have never found it useful but maybe it's a tool that somebody else can't live without.

Google's anything is getting hard to use. The new street view controls are nuts. I liked the NSEW, not that funky thing that spins.

Advanced search is now hard to find.

Composing emails under Ubuntu is counter-productive. Cutting and pasting from Libreoffice gets you who knows what. Lot's of double line breaks.

They removed services like reminder texts to a phone.