Is computing mans greatest achievement?

BR-549

Joined Sep 22, 2013
Mans greatest achievement, so far, was started by Dave Bergman in 1990. For the first time he successfully modeled a fundamental particle. Shortly after that Lucas successfully modeled all the nucleates and atomic spectra. QM has never been able to do that. Shortly after that the Universal force law was derived. And of course with that, all phenomena has been explained.
<snip>
Enjoy.

Last edited by a moderator:

sirch2

Joined Jan 21, 2013
Someone once said "Every complex problem as an answer that is clear, simple and wrong".

Has it been published in a peer reviewed journal? There is no reason at all why the universe should be "common sense" to us with our extremely limited set of senses (e.g. we can only sense a tiny part of the electromagnetic spectrum).

And of course with that, all phenomena has been explained.
So they have a cure for cancer?

JoeJester

Joined Apr 26, 2005
Last edited:

sirch2

Joined Jan 21, 2013
Yes I am aware of the issues with some peer reviews but in general they are still the best approach and definitely better than some random website.

JoeJester

Joined Apr 26, 2005
There are always issues when humans are involved. I haven't decided, but, I'm leaning towards the open peer review where the reviewer and the author is not anonymous vice the anonymous peer review.

But brutal honesty is not a common human trait.

That incident raises the caution level on all, unnecessarily. The process has been tarnished.

Just like trolls are identified by their writing style when they change names to regain access to a website, those doing peer reviews probably recognize the "anonymous" author. This could lead to being more favorable to someone sharing your same opinion.

studiot

Joined Nov 9, 2007
Judging from the enduring popularity of "the jokes thread" I would seriously consider humour to win the greatest achievement prize.

Brownout

Joined Jan 10, 2012
Spam filters.

Just kidding. Computing is certainly among man's greatest achievements. Though there are other great candidates as some members have pointed out.

sirch2

Joined Jan 21, 2013
How about

Yup - zero, first used in the Mathematical sense in India in the 9th century AD. Where would we be without it? And indeed where would a binary based computer be with only ones?

amilton542

Joined Nov 13, 2010
Our technology is only in its infancy.

I always ponder the question, if we had been around for as long as dinosaurs what would we know?

justtrying

Joined Mar 9, 2011
sirch, you were just a step ahead of me. 0 is the greatest invention, without it, there would have been no algebra. Without algebra no calculus, without calculus... and so on.

The greatest achievement of humanity is being able to take prior works and build on them. That is our strength. Hopefully we will survive our weaknesses...

atferrari

Joined Jan 6, 2004
Vaccination started to be used effectively prior than computing. It made us not stronger but able to trick Nature, helping us (most of) to extend our active life.

If that is actually deemed a progress, advance or achievement, I am not sure.

One thing is true: without that help, most of us would be not posting here (and, I presume, the rest, feeling unconcerned of overcrowding the globe).