Is a Resistor from V+ to Gnd Considered Parallel or Series?

Discussion in 'Analog & Mixed-Signal Design' started by johnyradio, Oct 1, 2018.

1. johnyradio

Thread Starter Active Member

Oct 26, 2012
    This image shows parallel and series with multiple resistors.

[​IMG]

But, if there's only ONE resistor, it will be the identical circuit! So, would we call that "parallel" or "series"?

thx

2. WBahn

Mar 31, 2012
    Yes.

If there are only two components (a resistor and a power source in this case) then it is both in series and in parallel.

Two components are in series if and only if any current flowing in one must flow in the other. So they are in series.

Two components are in parallel if and only if any voltage appearing across one must appear across the other. So they are in parallel.

This is known as a degenerate case where the distinctions between the two vanish.

johnyradio likes this.
  3. johnyradio

Thread Starter Active Member

Oct 26, 2012
    Wow! Ok, then with just one resistor, is it a IV converter, or VI converter? Both....?

4. hexreader

Apr 16, 2011
    Can be either, depending on whether you give it a constant V or a constant I

Constant V is a far more common occurrence (such as from a battery) than constant I.

Constant I is starting to become more common, for driving LEDs.

Whilst thinking of a resistor as VI or IV converter might be valid, it is a very unusual way to think about a resistor.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2018
  5. OBW0549

Distinguished Member

Mar 2, 2015
    Neither. Since in that case there's no distinction between the two, just call it what it is: merely a resistor connected across a voltage source.

6. BR-549

AAC Fanatic!

Sep 22, 2013
    Both.

7. WBahn

Mar 31, 2012
    Depending on the context, either way may be a reasonable view. Of course, that applies to all resistors regardless of connection topology since the relationship between V and I is a characteristic of the device, not the connections.