IRF3205 share cooling plate question

LAOADAM

Joined Nov 21, 2018
trying to make a 6 way mosfet switch, each mosfet working separately and independent.
Can I use just one piece of cooling plate for all of them? that means all mosfet's Drain hook up..

Thanks

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
may use the attached schematic 6 side by side, common drain automatic comes out when mounting them on one plate.
????? Not necessarily.
1) Heat sinks can be insulated (anodizing is an good insulator, BTW)
2) I still can't see your schematic. Headed to Walmart's for +5.50 reading glasses.

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
LAOADAM said:
trying to make a 6 way mosfet switch, each mosfet working separately and independent.
Thanks for the edit. You only show ONE 3205 (post #4). What about the other 5 working independent[sic]?

dendad

Joined Feb 20, 2016
Often, with a group of FETs close together like that, a strip of silicone insulation is used between the FETs and the heatsink, then they are all clamped to the heatsink using a bar that is screwed down at each ens. The bar runs across the plastic body of the FETs.
Ur, special spring loaded clips are used...

Here you can see the strip of grey silicone insulation, and a screwdriver being used to remove a clip.

Google "TO220 Insulation" for many pictures.

LAOADAM

Joined Nov 21, 2018
Thanks for the edit. You only show ONE 3205 (post #4). What about the other 5 working independent[sic]?
I'll 6 of that
Often, with a group of FETs close together like that, a strip of silicone insulation is used between the FETs and the heatsink, then they are all clamped to the heatsink using a bar that is screwed down at each ens. The bar runs across the plastic body of the FETs.
Ur, special spring loaded clips are used...

Here you can see the strip of grey silicone insulation, and a screwdriver being used to remove a clip.

Google "TO220 Insulation" for many pictures.

actually, the point of my question is is it necessary to insulate the mosfet piece by piece?

dendad

Joined Feb 20, 2016
actually, the point of my question is is it necessary to insulate the mosfet piece by piece?
Yes. All must be insulated from the heat sink and each other.
Unless, of course, you use FETs with isolated tabs.
Even if all the tabs are electrically connected together in the circuit, I'd advise insulating them anyway so there is no power on the heat sink. It can then be connected to the chassis.

Alec_t

Joined Sep 17, 2013
In your post #4 circuit the FET is a low-side switch for the LED load. If you connect all 6 drains together you won't have independent low-side control of 6 loads.