IR Controlled Wheelchair -(Arduino)

balla mohanvamsi

Joined Feb 16, 2017
sir m new to AAC...
m doing a project similar to this. the concept is IR sensor controlled wheel chair..first the IR sensor should detect the blinks of the eye
such as for one blink it should move left and for 2 blinks it should move right and 3 blinks it should move back and if u close it should stop....and while moving it should detect the obstracle using ultrasonic sensor and it should drive 2 dc motors so plz help me....
may be my concept is old but m trying to do this....so plz help me....
i want to do with arduino board......m waiting for ur replies..
thank u

(Moderator's note: This post was split from the thread at the URL below, and moved to its own thread so the two threads can remain separate.
https://forum.allaboutcircuits.com/threads/three-wheel-lazy-robot.130623/ )

Last edited by a moderator:

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
First off, no one is going to do your work for you. You need to do that. People here are here to help but you need to do 909% of the work and that includes the design.

and this is a special project. It involves someone in a wheelchair. It also involves reflecting I/R off of someone's eye. I cannot imagine anyone wanting to get involved with a project that could end up injuring someone that already has problems.

Leave this to professional engineers that have years of experience in this area. You should be able to buy such a product from a medical suppy company.

And if you still insist on doing this project just do a search. There are a couple of such projects on sites like hackaday.

djsfantasi

Joined Apr 11, 2010
You actually have described several small projects. I advise tackling them one by one. I see, in your post, three major issues to address.
  • Eye tracking, to issue commands
  • Obstacle detection and avoidance
  • Motor control
I suggest there are others you have not mentioned and I cannot address. I mention it only so that you are aware of the complexity of this project.

IR technology is but one method of eye tracking. I am more familiar with the video approach. Look into the OpenCV library. By processing a video image, one can identify what the eye is doing.

Perform a web search, and you will find many examples. There is a project on Hackaday that does this very thing.

Good luck!