IPhone disrupts Cable TV

djsfantasi

Joined Apr 11, 2010
Anyone run into this problem? Whenever my wife uses her iPhone 6 near a TV, which is connected to a FIOS box, the image drops out. It either goes blank or becomes pixelated.

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
Odd. When you say she "uses" her phone, do you mean an active phone call or just interacting with the screen and apps?

One thing that comes to mind is the bandwidth of the cable. If she's on the internet via wifi, and your internet arrives via the same cable as your TV, maybe there's a problem with sharing bandwidth. This would be easy to test, by just turning off the wifi radio on the phone to see if it affects the TV reception.

djsfantasi

Joined Apr 11, 2010
As far as we can tell, it's just when interacting with her phone. Note that I have an iPhone 6 as well and does not happen to me. Likely when using Facebook.

OBW0549

Joined Mar 2, 2015
Anyone run into this problem? Whenever my wife uses her iPhone 6 near a TV, which is connected to a FIOS box, the image drops out. It either goes blank or becomes pixelated.
I just tried it with my iPhone 6+ right up next to my FIOS set-top box, both with and without WiFi enabled, and got no interference while downloading a bunch of weather maps and web pages via Safari.

Not a clue...

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
That's bizarre. iPhones are hardware-identical these days, so they have identical radios regardless of carrier. I suppose if one was on a different carrier, it might be broadcasting on a different frequency.