IP CCTV system .

Tryin2learn

Joined Nov 11, 2016
Anybody know about IP CCTV cameras ??. I have four hd-sdi cameras around my home and a likewise DVR . The problem is one of the CCTV cameras has gone a bit iffy . I was wondering if I replaced the iffy camera with a new IP one and has time goes by gradually replace the rest . Ok the bit I am not sure about is how do I record the cameras ?? I have never used cloud or any other net based storage I think you can get a nvr recorder but are they standalone or do you need a pc ?? I don't really want to use a pc . Any suggestions ?? Thanks Keith .

Dodgydave

Joined Jun 22, 2012
Ip cameras use your wifi system to deliver pictures, they use your modem to logon to your Internet using the software provided by it, ideally you will need a Static Ip address if you want to view it from a different location like abroad etc, otherwise your using a third party network provider that will want you to create an account. In order to record the video you can use flash drive like Sd cards in your modem or computer.

blocco a spirale

Joined Jun 18, 2008
IP cameras are not necessarily wi-fi and they don't need to be linked to the internet.

I think you are over-complicating things, an NVR can be fully self contained and there is no need for cloud storage or a PC. The set-up is not vastly different from what you have already except that the video is digitised in the camera and sent over IP rather than analogue over co-ax. Your existing DVR only differs in that it can digitise the incoming analogue video, beyond that point, it is just like an NVR.

Last edited:

Robin Mitchell

Joined Oct 25, 2009
@Dodgydave you can use noip which gives you an address that redirects you to a dyanmic IP. So all you need is the program on your computer which contacts noip when there is an IP change and it will change the redirection of the address. For example, I have one for a program server that is something like www.programserver.noip.com and my computer has the ip update program. Then all you have to do is access via the www.programserver.noip.com instead of an actual IP address! Very handy :)

Tryin2learn

Joined Nov 11, 2016
IP cameras are not necessarily wi-fi and they don't need to be linked to the internet.

I think you are over-complicating things, an NVR can be fully self contained and there is no need for cloud storage or a PC. The set-up is not vastly different from what you have already except that the video is digitised in the camera and sent over IP rather than analogue over co-ax. Your existing DVR only differs in that it can digitise the incoming analogue video, beyond that point, it is just like an NVR.[/QUOT

Thanks I think a nvr is the best route . Basically same as my current set up .