Inverter test with dummy load before or after transformer?

SiCEngineer

Joined May 22, 2019
Hi All,

I have designed two inverter boards, one 600W and one is 60W. The issue is that the voltages at the output at 3kV and 6kV respectively for these outputs, and I want to test the inverter boards prior to connecting to the secondary side inverter boards.

What would be the best process to validate my inverter board designs before attaching my high voltage rectifiers and loads? I believe there are three options:

1) primary side AC load, referred from the secondary - similar to how fundamental harmonic analysis is done for resonant converters. The reflected loads should both consume 60w and 600w referred to the primary side - so I would choose, say, 100W and 1kW resistors for this.

2) secondary side AC load -same as previously, but also connect the isolated transformers. These could have a small step-up or step-down and the resistors are sized to dissipate an equivalent amount of power in proportion.

3) secondary side DC load - same as previous, but attach a standard full bridge rectifier and smoothing capacitor and then a DC load, dissipating same amount of power (60w, 600w) BUT at lower voltages.

What is the standard procedure for testing the inverters in high voltage applications before attaching the high voltage load, to test that all current limiting/over-voltage lockout type functions etc are all implemented correctly?

Any and all info appreciated! High voltage tips in particular are welcomed, but all still.

Thanks!