How to test Inverter 4018L?

UnnamedUser159

Joined May 3, 2016
Soldered on the board or should be desoldered?

What basic tests to make with DVM? I have osciloscope too.

On my board i see pins 5 and 8 are outputs and are just direct to the CCFL.

thanks !

ArakelTheDragon

Joined Nov 18, 2016
Please provide a link to the datasheet, I see many of this chip:

SIG4018L-100 SPECIFICATION FOR APPROVAL
SIG4018L-101 SPECIFICATION FOR APPROVAL
SIG4018L-150 SPECIFICATION FOR APPROVAL
SIG4018L-1R0 SPECIFICATION FOR APPROVAL
SIG4018L-1R2 SPECIFICATION FOR APPROVAL
SIG4018L-1R5 SPECIFICATION FOR APPROVAL
SIG4018L-1R8 SPECIFICATION FOR APPROVAL
SIG4018L-220 SPECIFICATION FOR APPROVAL
SIG4018L-221 SPECIFICATION FOR APPROVAL
SIG4018L-2R2

Do you want to test the inverter inside of the chip, as it seems to contain other parts also and the inverter is only 1 of them? You need a power supply and an osciloscope. Its always better to test while the element is unsoldered, but keep in mind that after the soldering it may not work.

ArakelTheDragon

Joined Nov 18, 2016
If the inverter is powered it becomes dangerous and I don't know if the forum rulles allow help for such an inverter.

Otherwise the power supply is on 1 end, and on the ouput end you have some inverted voltage. There is a galvanic division between the 2 coils, which makes it hard to test (not impossible though).

Do you agree to do this at your own risk and not blame us for anything? If you are stupid you will die!

Last edited:

UnnamedUser159

Joined May 3, 2016
Just tell me the procedure. I have "enough head" and have measured high voltage with soldered wires and just power on the device and watch the DVM display :)

ArakelTheDragon

Joined Nov 18, 2016
I am not trying to offend you, I just know that now a days people only look for a reason to blame, because they don't have 1 gram of brain.
Also you will not be the only one reading this topic, so I need to put the accent on some points.

DON'T measure without a load.

Identify your inverter first. Markings on it, what is its power supply, how many output and input pins does it have.
Example inverter:
https://www.tme.eu/en/details/10-100001-0314/one-phase-inverters/msf-vathauer/10-100001-0314/

Simplest method 0:
Make a circuit, it must contain a LOAD (MANDATORY). It must contain a load and a potentiometer, when you change the potentiometer the load (light bulb or something) should change its light output.

Simple method 1:

Simple method 2:
VoltMeter is connected in parallel with load.
AmMeter is connected in series with load.

Samsung service guide 3:

Don't do this 4:

Complex method, DC to AC inverter 5: