Inverter new Batteries Charging Issue

Abdul Wahab_1552901852

Joined Mar 18, 2019
i am using apc 1500watts ups with two batteries having 24v(12v+12v) both battery have a capacity of 230*2 amps and 23*2 plates Recently i replaced the batteries with same 230+230amps but with 33*2 plates. Ups was not charging so i contact with the technician, they figure to solve the problem by attaching the battery charger separately with inverter. what he did is he attach 24 volt charger with batteries and at the same time with inverter is also connected with the batteries so batteries are charging with the charger and the inverter at the same time parallel. kindly tell me is this right or not.

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
Is the integral charger (part of the UPS) still part of the circuit? If not, it's probably OK but personally I would feel much better knowing why the integral charger is not working for the new batteries. I would not want two chargers connected in parallel.

mvas

Joined Jun 19, 2017
No, this is not right.
Can you get the built-in charging circuit fixed?
Are you 100% positive that the Internal Charger is completely disabled?
When the APC UPS tries to TEST the Battery Bank, the external Charger will still be connected = not right.

If you can verify that the battery bank gets 100% charged, but never over-charged then your modification may just work.

Abdul Wahab_1552901852

Joined Mar 18, 2019
Is the integral charger (part of the UPS) still part of the circuit? If not, it's probably OK but personally I would feel much better knowing why the integral charger is not working for the new batteries. I would not want two chargers connected in parallel.
Yes the integral charger is still the part of the circuit.
electrician said that ups will not charge the batters because the new batteries are of big capacity and internal circuit is not able to charge the batteries.

Abdul Wahab_1552901852

Joined Mar 18, 2019
No, this is not right.
Can you get the built-in charging circuit fixed?
Are you 100% positive that the Internal Charger is completely disabled?
When the APC UPS tries to TEST the Battery Bank, the external Charger will still be connected = not right.

If you can verify that the battery bank gets 100% charged, but never over-charged then your modification may just work.
no, internal charger is still working and external charger also working; connected parallel.
electrician said the the external charger will not over charged, when batteries will fully charge then external charger will down his amperes.
kindly tell what should i do. i am totally confused about this and i dont want to mess my new batteries which cast me around 350$.

mvas

Joined Jun 19, 2017
The old battery bank was ... 2 @ 12 Volt x 230 Amp-Hour ( 23 plate ) batteries connected in series ?
The new battery bank is ... 2 @ 12 Volt x 230 Amp-Hour ( 33 plate ) batteries connected in series ?

So, WHY doesn't the internal charger work with the new battery bank?
And how do you know that it was not charging

Do you have URL Link and the Manufacturer & exact Model # of both battery banks?

Model # and URL of the new External Charger?

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
Yes the integral charger is still the part of the circuit.
electrician said that ups will not charge the batters because the new batteries are of big capacity and internal circuit is not able to charge the batteries.
I was wondering about that. If the new battery required an initial charging, and that required more current than the UPS could supply, that might have caused the UPS to reject the new battery.

My home security system is similar: I replaced the original (not very big) NiCad battery with a car battery. It works fines but not if the big battery is discharged when I connect it. The charger charges it for a while but the voltage doesn't get high enough to satisfy the charger, and so it gives up and sounds the "low battery" alarm.

A partial solution is to pre-charge the new battery and then see if the UPS will now accept it. It's only a partial solution because, if the battery becomes discharged during an outage, the UPS may be unable to bring it back when power returns.

Abdul Wahab_1552901852

Joined Mar 18, 2019
The old battery bank was ... 2 @ 12 Volt x 230 Amp-Hour ( 23 plate ) batteries connected in series ?
The new battery bank is ... 2 @ 12 Volt x 230 Amp-Hour ( 33 plate ) batteries connected in series ?

So, WHY doesn't the internal charger work with the new battery bank?
And how do you know that it was not charging

Do you have URL Link and the Manufacturer & exact Model # of both battery banks?

Model # and URL of the new External Charger?
Yes both are connected in series.
i know its not working because Ups shows the Last point of battery and after some minutes the indicate low battery and when i check the volatage of the battery the dropped from 14 to 11.8volts(single battery volts)
i gave two days to batteries for charging from UPS when i connected new batteries.

Battery Link: http://www.phoenixbattery.com.pk/product.php > Power cube Tubler Series TX-1800

Last edited:

Abdul Wahab_1552901852

Joined Mar 18, 2019
I was wondering about that. If the new battery required an initial charging, and that required more current than the UPS could supply, that might have caused the UPS to reject the new battery.

My home security system is similar: I replaced the original (not very big) NiCad battery with a car battery. It works fines but not if the big battery is discharged when I connect it. The charger charges it for a while but the voltage doesn't get high enough to satisfy the charger, and so it gives up and sounds the "low battery" alarm.

A partial solution is to pre-charge the new battery and then see if the UPS will now accept it. It's only a partial solution because, if the battery becomes discharged during an outage, the UPS may be unable to bring it back when power returns.
yes, may be they require more current because the new batteries are of big capacity and these are deep cycle tubular batteries.
is it okey to charge the batteries with external and internal charger at the same time ? then i will disconnect the external charger after 2 or 3 days? tell me what should i do because i am confused with this charging system and i am worried about my new batteries. !