Internet of things Project Designing and Development Process

Parth786

Joined Jun 19, 2017
I want to learn the process of Project design and Planning. How do we accomplish a Project. There are the two part of Projects "Hardware and Programming". I am very curious to learn about internet of Things. I have found out that internet of things is combination of Embedded System and Web Development. I am not perfect in Embedded System but I am learning about Embedded System and I want to learn about Internet of Things.

I have found out that we can design internet of things project mainly in three ways
  1. Internet of things via Personal Computer
  2. Internet of things via Smart Phone
  3. Internet of things via raspberry pi
Please someone assist me to learn project development process and planning regarding Internet of Things

Attachments

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
There are the two part of Projects "Hardware and Programming".
There are a lot more than two! I think the most critical part is the definition of what is needed. What is the goal? A hobby or a commercial product? What exactly should the device do?, for who?, using what communication? What are the security issues? What will my device do that isn't already available commercially from 'competitors'?

Parth786

Joined Jun 19, 2017
There are a lot more than two! I think the most critical part is the definition of what is needed. What is the goal? A hobby or a commercial product? What exactly should the device do?, for who?, using what communication? What are the security issues? What will my device do that isn't already available commercially from 'competitors'?
I am not making right now. I am asking how to make planning. How about something simple to start with and then add some complexity a bit at a time. what could be suitable example for beginner. I want to make project on Internet of things via Smart Phone. Mobile will monitor device via internet. How to make planning for hardware and programming. My main purpose is learn to designing and planning for internet project with simple project.Have you seen following pdf file. Suggest me simple Project. I would like to work with your example . .

Last edited:

Parth786

Joined Jun 19, 2017
There are thousands of examples
Problem Statement: How to make IOT Project that will switch on and off the agriculture water pump through mobile phone.

Look into my this thread https://forum.allaboutcircuits.com/threads/how-to-control-ac-device-using-microcontroller.140527/
I can switch on and off water pump through Microcontroller. Now How to make IOT Project twill switch on and off the agriculture water pump through mobile phone.

Internet of things project
  1. Hardware Design
  2. Programming
Hardware requirement
  1. Microcontroller
  2. Smart phone
  3. Relay
  4. Water Pump
  5. internet supportable devices module
  6. Power Supply
Does it make any sense for hardware Design ?

Note : My main focus on learning complete process for making Internet of things Project. given example are just for basic understanding.

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009
How far way from the Microcontroller is the phone? That's a very important design consideration for the type of wireless data interface.

Parth786

Joined Jun 19, 2017
How far way from the Microcontroller is the phone? That's a very important design consideration for the type of wireless data interface.
They have some cool ways to add G3 or LTE to a project
Thanks. I am trying my best to learn the basics of internet of things. I am struggling with both part Hardware and programming. I have to sort out each problems but how to do it. Still my hardware part is incomplete and I am looking help in programming part but programming part is second step.
first step is to complete hardware part. as you can seen #post5. I made list for hardware part. I am looking help to make hardware design. it will best for me if you will help me with specific problem. one problem at one time .
Can we focus only on hardware part at this time. later we will discuss regarding programming.

Parth786

Joined Jun 19, 2017
Get a esp8266 best bang for the buck.
I have found this device http://www.shopwiznet.com/wiz550io It has been cleared that I need a Microntroller + Network device at the end of receiver. Network device which can take signal from internet and it can send signal to Microcontroller.

So I can make block diagram where smart phone will be at sender end and Network module plus Microcontroller will be at receiver.

I have doubt on router. should I connect router before network device?

Last edited:

be80be

Joined Jul 5, 2008
The esp would do all you want it's a Microcontroller + Network device
It's fast and has networking taking care of. People think of it wrong I used one to turn on a light with my celphone it can act as a router or use it with wifi and you could then talk to it anywhere it doesn't have a great bunch of I/o but you can add them with PCF8574AP I/O Expanders

Parth786

Joined Jun 19, 2017
The esp would do all you want it's a Microcontroller + Network device
Great work. But I need your more help. Let’s say you don’t have such company that make such type of chip. Suppose you have microcontroller and you have to connect that microcontroller to internet and you have to do this work without esp chip. Then You have to make your own design. How will you design your own module? How will you connect your microcontroller to internet?

I have studied little bit about router, wifi module, switches. All these device are used to connect any device to internet. I am having difficulty in applying what I have read. I want to apply it to design what I have read. How do i use what I have studied in project development.

A good developer should know what does he need and how can he accomplish it

Last edited:

be80be

Joined Jul 5, 2008
Well I understand making do with what you have but the esp is dirt cheap. I would think you could come up with one.
There are cheap led lights that have esp8266 in them then there Bluetooth led lights I removed the module from one of those
The esp they didn't have any at home depot.
But I got like 10 of the esp for $2 each not bad.
You could find old but working celphone some used serial com for data hard to find. Newer are usb not easy to use.
Then you have g3 and LTE but cost ten times as much as esp.
I have one of these WIZ550 but that's a lot to pay and take wired network with router computer big ball of wax.
This is just $2.59 and they ship cheap http://www.taydaelectronics.com/breakout-boards/esp8266.html
But back to the esp it comes in a module that you add to what your making you can program it in C
And you'd still be a "good developer"

That little baby can do a lot you can set it up to let a smart phone use it as wifi and talk to it without having a wifi router
or use it with a wifi router and talk to it anywhere using the net.

Parth786

Joined Jun 19, 2017
let's suppose neither esp nor WIZ550 not been invented yet. there is no one chip available in the market yet. So You have to make your own device like Wiz550 or esp. You don't have option. How will you design your own device?

Note : I am not asking circuit diagram. I am just asking whats the networking device you will you to make complete module? Will you use router, switch , NIC card. what's should be the basic components of device ?

philba

Joined Aug 17, 2017
Designing you're own device is a huge undertaking. Lots of circuitry, tons of programming. I agree with be80be, use one of the ESP8266 modules. Dirt cheap, not really worth reinventing.

Parth786

Joined Jun 19, 2017
Design your own device? It could be something as old as this: http://teleautomaton.com/post/1373803033/how-teslas-1898-patent-changed-the-world

Personally I think you would stick to devices like the esp8266 to learn about IoT today. Judging from past experience.
Yes I agreed definitely I will use but my question was different. I think I couldn't express my question very well. you are telling about specific chip. have you noticed that I was talking about router,switches NIC. I have studied without router we cann't connect any device to internet. to identify network device. device should be connect with NIC card.
Designing you're own device is a huge undertaking. Lots of circuitry, tons of programming. I agree with be80be, use one of the ESP8266 modules. Dirt cheap, not really worth reinventing.
Have you read my post carefully. I wasn't asking for circuit diagram and also I am not going to design myself

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009
Yes I agreed definitely I will use but my question was different. I think I couldn't express my question very well. you are telling about specific chip. have you noticed that I was talking about router,switches NIC. I have studied without router we cann't connect any device to internet. to identify network device. device should be connect with NIC card.

Have you read my post carefully. I wasn't asking for circuit diagram and also I am not going to design myself
The specific chip is a easy way to dip your toes into the giant lake of networking remote devices. You are asking for knowledge that takes years of study to integrate individual hardware/software components into a complete working system. There is no easy shortcut, you need to do the work it takes to understand it.