International District

strantor

Joined Oct 3, 2010
While entering into my 'hood yesterday, I saw this sign:

It wasn't until reviewing the picture later that I noticed the globe symbol; it's the same creepy globe I've been seeing popping up everywhere (street corners) but didn't pay much attention to. It's all part of a community improvement thing. It comes also with road improvements, police presence, and park improvements.

The history on my 'hood (as it is told to me, I've only been here 1 year) is that it used to be a nice area and then about 10-15 years ago it started becoming culturally diverse and going down hill; now it's a shady place. I have crackhead apartments right outside my subdivision. All the houses on my street have bars on the doors & windows.

Anybody seen one of these community improvement projects run full course? Do they actually help? Just wondering how effective it is when the government goes in to "clean up" an area.

Attachments

VoodooMojo

Joined Nov 28, 2009
If the intended results are realized, they usually work well for all.
It depends on the amount and rate of taxes that are levied on the businesses and the amount of security provided in relation to the tax increase.
If the tax rate exceeds services (reducing the amount of break-ins, robberies, muggings, drug dealings, murders) provided, new businesses will avoid locating in the area because of the taxes.
Area beutification starts bringing people in. The hope is to keep them coming back.

I hope in your case the people in the area take a new sense of pride in their neighborhood and collectively keep the riff-raff at bay.

Adjuster

Joined Dec 26, 2010
The area may or may not improve, but if it does it is likely to be a slow process, especially given the present economic outlook.
Some people foresee this leading to worsening crime / rioting / terrorism or other troubles for years to come.

Given this prospect, would you not be better trying to go elsewhere else?

strantor

Joined Oct 3, 2010
The area may or may not improve, but if it does it is likely to be a slow process, especially given the present economic outlook.
Some people foresee this leading to worsening crime / rioting / terrorism or other troubles for years to come.

Given this prospect, would you not be better trying to go elsewhere else?
I would never have moved here if I had the money to live anywhere else. Things are looking up though, I may be able to get out of here within a year or two.

strantor

Joined Oct 3, 2010
I hope in your case the people in the area take a new sense of pride in their neighborhood and collectively keep the riff-raff at bay.
I hope so as well; I'll be doing my part. I may even paint the front of truck, so it's not an eyesore on the corner lot :)