Interesting things seen on eBay/Craigslist Thread.

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
I'll post an example when I see one. The ones that make me chuckle are the guys trying to sell old tools as "vintage".
That's code for "really old and worthless, but I can't part with it".

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
Here's one small example. The saw doesn't look too bad until you get to the fine print.

Saw.jpg
Vintage Craftsman Table SAW - $45
This is a Vintage Craftsman table saw in great shape - does NOT come with a motor . This is Model # 113.22400

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
But it does come with a power cord. I wonder what that hooks up to?
Craftsman Table saws have a keyed switch with power cord connecting to either a plug or a junction box (older models). Replacement motors or alternate motors are easily mounted that way.

Joined Nov 30, 2010
I have a very similar Craftsman table saw which I bought (new) in 1978.
I have the 1HP motor that was attached in the first place, but I attached a 5HP motor and the proper power cord.
Now it plugs into a clothes dryer outlet and splits an 8 foot (really) 1 inch by (really) 4 inch board in 20 seconds.
Much better than the 100 seconds required with a 1 HP motor!!!

My point is: You can attach any motor with a 4 bolt base plate.
(I added a control transformer and 30 amp contactor so I wouldn't burn up the original power switch, intended for a 1 HP motor.)

Attachments

joeyd999

Joined Jun 6, 2011
I have the 1HP motor that was attached in the first place, but I attached a 5HP motor and the proper power cord.
Now it plugs into a clothes dryer outlet and splits an 8 foot (really) 1 inch by (really) 4 inch board in 20 seconds.

(I added a control transformer and 30 amp contactor so I wouldn't burn up the original power switch, intended for a 1 HP motor.)

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012

The Craftsman tools were really a great value. Not perfect for fine cabinetry but definitely designed for carpentry projects. With the big motor, the arbors and bearings were fine for up to 5HP motors.

I completely believe the wood that you are processing. Just be careful that the blades don't buckle. Most consumer-grade blades are too thin for those feed rates.

Joined Nov 30, 2010
Just be careful that the blades don't buckle. Most consumer-grade blades are too thin for those feed rates.
As you can see, the fence is finished. Hundreds of wet, cypress 1x4's straight from the saw mill. Never had a problem with the feed rate because I was present at all times, pushing the board through with my hand and listening to the motor. I just don't see how one can have a problem with the feed rate when you're pushing the board with your hand.:confused:

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
I just picked up one similar to that and fully functional at an auction for $20. :D
Mine was free! But I probably watched the "tools" and "free stuff" listings for a year before scooping it.

I'm a little embarrassed to show that it's being used as more of a TABLE saw than a table SAW, but not embarrassed enough to clear it off. ;)

The dust enclosure below came with it. I built the crosscut sled on top.

IMG_2393.png