Interchangable lcd?

Killerbee65

Joined May 15, 2017
Hey guys so I need a little help with this question : if I disconnect a lcd from a device can i connect a different lcd screen to the same device ? I dont know much about lcds and google wont help this time but any answer is appreciated

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
Hey guys so I need a little help with this question : if I disconnect a lcd from a device can i connect a different lcd screen to the same device ? I dont know much about lcds and google wont help this time but any answer is appreciated
There are two levels of concern.
1) make sure the same, or similar, LCD driver chip is on the display. Usually a surface-mount chip can be seen on the back of the display.
2) make sure the communication pins from your cable to the input pins on the display chip (LCD driver) chip are arranged in the same order by whoever designed/built the display.

JUNELER

Joined Jul 13, 2015
Hi,
SEE at the back of LCD and you will find listing of serial number,part number ,manufacturer, and date and made from.
Usually just enter in the google the part number or manufacturer, it will link you to this data of such Lcd.

Connecting such Lcd of different pin assignment in the connector it will not go in. So review your LCD unit characteristic and parameters.

Killerbee65

Joined May 15, 2017
The interface and command set have to be compatible, what is the part/type No?
Max.
I dont know but now ik that they have to match so that part is all good but lets say u have a lcd with the same connections but different size screen will the lcd still function like it would if it had its orginal size?

Killerbee65

Joined May 15, 2017
There are two levels of concern.
1) make sure the same, or similar, LCD driver chip is on the display. Usually a surface-mount chip can be seen on the back of the display.
2) make sure the communication pins from your cable to the input pins on the display chip (LCD driver) chip are arranged in the same order by whoever designed/built the display.
I got the first part but the second part i have no idea what ur talking about remember i dont know much

Killerbee65

Joined May 15, 2017
Hi,
SEE at the back of LCD and you will find listing of serial number,part number ,manufacturer, and date and made from.
Usually just enter in the google the part number or manufacturer, it will link you to this data of such Lcd.

Connecting such Lcd of different pin assignment in the connector it will not go in. So review your LCD unit characteristic and parameters.
I know that i just wanted to know is there like a universal connector of some sort ?

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
I dont know but now ik that they have to match so that part is all good but lets say u have a lcd with the same connections but different size screen will the lcd still function like it would if it had its orginal size?
Too many possible variables to know without part No.s.
Max.

shteii01

Joined Feb 19, 2010
I know that i just wanted to know is there like a universal connector of some sort ?
There are several "universal connectors". Which makes them not universal, of course.

What you are looking for is called: communication standards.
Just of the top of my head:
4 bit parallel
8 bit parallel
IIC (I2C)

4 bit and 8 bit parallel are compatible.

IIC is one of the serial standards. There are several others.

Killerbee65

Joined May 15, 2017
You should be able to tell us that.
Its not mine its my fathers he gave it to me because he broke it somehow which is why i am here and telling you guys that i dont know what it is bc when i got it the lcd was beyond repair and the device itself was in pretty bad shape

Killerbee65

Joined May 15, 2017
There are several "universal connectors". Which makes them not universal, of course.

What you are looking for is called: communication standards.
Just of the top of my head:
4 bit parallel
8 bit parallel
IIC (I2C)

4 bit and 8 bit parallel are compatible.

IIC is one of the serial standards. There are several others.
Alright thanks for the info

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
C Power Electronics 11