Intelligent design

R!f@@

Joined Apr 2, 2009
I's even possible that the so called aliens are progressing at the same speed as humans.
We cannot get to them and they cannot get to us.
So who seeded who if that was the case ?

R!f@@

Joined Apr 2, 2009
Expanding into what?
Wait and see. :D
what @cmartinez said is true as I believe. Time did not exist before the big bang.
Who ever started the big bang created time with it.
Like I said, time exist in this universe of ours.

Th Big Bang started all this. So why is it so hard to believe that there be someone behind the Big Bang. Things does not happen on it's own. There is no such things as chance. Same goes for evolution.

If Evolution is true then where are the creatures that suppose to be changing. All I see is Monkeys and Humans. Nothing in between.

cmartinez

Joined Jan 17, 2007
Expanding into what?
As I said, space is being created. It is expanding into itself. The unuverse has curvature... if you could travel faster than light, you would eventually come back to the same point where you started. Remember that the Universe does not, and cannot, have infinite space. This is because it had a beginning. And that is a practically unanimous consensus among astrophysicists.

We are living in the largest (expanding) fishbowl ever made!

R!f@@

Joined Apr 2, 2009
As I said, space is being created. It is expanding into itself. The unuverse has curvature... if you could travel faster than light, you would eventually come back to the same point where you started. Remember that the Universe does not, and cannot, have infinite space. This is because it had a beginning. And that is a practically unanimous consensus among astrophysicists.

We are living in the largest (expanding) fishbowl ever made!
If there is beginning there is an end.
Who made the fishbowl ?

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
Time did not exist before the big bang.
Which Big Bang are you referring to? Our local one? That's just a single grain of sand on an endless beach. The universe is full of other big bangs. Assuming ours is the only one is as myopic as the Earth-centric models of yesteryear. Admittedly, science cannot deal with this very well because, by all known technologies, we cannot hope to ever see another one and learn how trivial we are. So it's no different than claiming the unseen hand. Cannot be tested or disproved.

R!f@@

Joined Apr 2, 2009
Which Big Bang are you referring to? Our local one? That's just a single grain of sand on an endless beach. The universe is full of other big bangs. Assuming ours is the only one is as myopic as the Earth-centric models of yesteryear. Admittedly, science cannot deal with this very well because, by all known technologies, we cannot hope to ever see another one and learn how trivial we are. So it's no different than claiming the unseen hand. Cannot be tested or disproved.
The one that started this universe

cmartinez

Joined Jan 17, 2007
So why is it so hard to believe that there be someone behind the Big Bang.
What I find amusing is some highly intelligent people's attitude toward this... like Elon Musk, they'd prefer to believe that we're living in a simulation than accept the possibility of a creative Supreme Being.

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
I's even possible that the so called aliens are progressing at the same speed as humans.
We cannot get to them and they cannot get to us.
So who seeded who if that was the case ?
The whole "alien seeding" thing just kicks the can down the road. Who seeded them? Who seeded the ones who seeded them?

At some point you have to have a first intelligent race that evolved independently and in isolation to a level that allowed them to venture out into space in order to seed the second intelligent race.

strantor

Joined Oct 3, 2010
The whole "alien seeding" thing just kicks the can down the road. Who seeded them? Who seeded the ones who seeded them?

At some point you have to have a first intelligent race that evolved independently and in isolation to a level that allowed them to venture out into space in order to seed the second intelligent race.
Similarly, who created God?
Similarly, where did the ingredients for the big bang come from?

If we're kicking cans down the road, to me it comes back to either:
1. the possibility of the universe being eternal, no beginning or end of existence
or
2. the possibility of the universe being spontaneously birthed out of nothingness.

#1 seems unfathomable, #2 impossible. My head hurts.

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
Similarly, who created God?
Similarly, where did the ingredients for the big bang come from?

If we're kicking cans down the road, to me it comes back to either:
1. the possibility of the universe being eternal, no beginning or end of existence
or
2. the possibility of the universe being spontaneously birthed out of nothingness.

#1 seems unfathomable, #2 impossible. My head hurts.
The difference is that the "alien seeding" crowd generally use that notion to explain how something was done and claim it couldn't have happened any other way. But they set themselves up for their own inconsistent trap.

Most religions avoid that trap by saying some eternal entity created everything and that that eternal entity is beyond our ability to comprehend.

Most science avoids that trap by saying that everything happened from some cataclysmic beginning and it is impossible to know anything from before that event.

Both of the latter two acknowledge that there are fundamental limits to our ability to know things. The former claims the knowledge to explain something yet that very claimed knowledge doesn't explain what the very thing they claim it allows them to explain.

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
Hello again,

The Egyptians did know something about the brain, they even did some brain surgeries as noted by examining skulls found in various sites. The question is just what was the extent of their knowledge.
That was my first notion, but my understanding is that we know how to read hieroglyphics well enough that that symbol's meaning is probably known. What is that panel referring to? We should be past the point of claiming that it's a cross-section of the human brain based on some wishful pattern matching.

cmartinez

Joined Jan 17, 2007
The former claims the knowledge to explain something yet that very claimed knowledge doesn't explain what the very thing they claim it allows them to explain.
Not all of them. Some religions claim that it is actually impossible to know, that there is a limit to knowledge as it is. I am one of those adherents. And I was thoroughly more convinced since learning of Kurt Gödel's incompleteness theorem. It is actual mathematical proof that there are some truths out there that simply cannot be proved. That is why there's such thing as axioms... For me, at least, the big question lies in whether we should worry and study truths that cannot be proved (sounds almost like an oxymoron, doesn't it?) ... I think that exploring them is definitely worth the time. Our reflections about them can tell us extremely valuable things about ourselves in the process.

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
Our reflections about them can tell us extremely valuable things about ourselves in the process.
Absolutely. Understanding the limits of religion and rationality is crucial to understanding what we know and don't know. A body of knowledge without that sort of metadata is a bunch of trees but not a forest. One of the current philosophical battlegrounds is about mathematics, whether it is really a property of our universe awaiting our discovery, or a purely human construct. There may not be an answer and if there is, it may be of no real use. But understanding the arguments gives an excellent, mile-high perspective on things.

MOD NOTE: Corrected quote attribution.

Last edited by a moderator:

tcmtech

Joined Nov 4, 2013
One of the current philosophical battlegrounds is about mathematics, whether it is really a property of our universe awaiting our discovery, or a purely human construct.
All of my life I have considered it a human construct like a language given the vast amount of misrepresentations and assumptions used in it to reach certain wanted conclusions.

Rather much why the saying, "theory says theory and reality are the same. Reality, however, rarely agrees. "

makes the point that we are continually working on developing and redesigning our human construct of mathematics to try and make it better represent reality because far too often it comes up short on both fitting and explaining reality.

If mathematics was in fact a construct of reality (a fundamental force of sorts) then the two would have a perfect interchangeability yet clearly they are not. It's just a human constructed and defined language that works to explain things reasonably well most of the time but not always.

BR-549

Joined Sep 22, 2013
I could never quite fathom the premise that space came into existence with matter. So space was created too?

If that's true........then there must be an edge. Even if it's expanding.......it would make a boundary. And what would you call what's on the other side of the edge? As our tech gets better......shouldn't we be able to see that edge? But the closer we look.....it just gets denser and denser. They see a dark spot....examine it in detail......and no matter what direction they look.....millions and millions of more galaxies. They are continuously being amazed at the density of the far star fields. It's almost starting to look denser out there......than here.

I think space goes to eternity. The space in and several diameters around this universe is polluted with background EM. It can interact/interfere and cause patterns......but that's just noise, or EM fluctuations.
If one could go out 1000 diameters....I'll bet that clean space is absolutely nothing. Not even temp.

I don't think any human intellect can determine how matter was introduced to our space.....and that does not bother me.

cmartinez

Joined Jan 17, 2007
Three dimensional space is warped in a fourth dimension. We're like two-dimensional creatures living on the surface of a three-dimensional balloon. The balloon is constantly expanding, and so its surface are. That is why we'll never find an edge. But we might indirectly infer it from astrophysical observation.

BR-549

Joined Sep 22, 2013
I'm thinking our detectors are insufficient. I'll bet our universe is many, many times larger than thought.
Light Speed is just too slow.
Even if we could travel at billions of LS......we could not follow a beam to a source. So.....there is no way to find the galaxy you see.