Integrator to convert square wave to triangle / sawtooth wave not working properly

acheriti

Joined Apr 26, 2020
Hey guys,
I'm designing a sawtooth generator and I want to use a 555 timer and a integrator.
I'm testing it at low frequency but my goal is to reach 2MHz at the end. I can't figure out why but my integrator is giving me nothing good.
Would anyone have an idea of what's going on here ?

Thanks a lot guys !

Attachments

LowQCab

Joined Nov 6, 2012
Reliable, very high frequency Circuits, do not play by the "normal" rules.
A 555-Timer is not the chip to use for ~2-Mhz.
You need to start-out by stating what problem You are trying to solve.
What do You want the end-product to do ?

acheriti

Joined Apr 26, 2020
Reliable, very high frequency Circuits, do not play by the "normal" rules.
A 555-Timer is not the chip to use for ~2-Mhz.
You need to start-out by stating what problem You are trying to solve.
What do You want the end-product to do ?
Hi,
Thanks for the reply.

I'm designing a boost converter with a voltage compensator. That compensator works fine. I've been simulating with a source to generate the sawtooth waveform but now I want to design an analog circuit to do so because I obviously can't have a generator in my final product.
Thanks a lot!

ElectricSpidey

Joined Dec 2, 2017
Are you sure V3 is set up properly?

EDIT:

So after zooming I can see the voltages are correct.

Below some solutions are offered but no explanation.

So basically the 555 is incapable of pulling the inverting input voltage below that of the non-inverting input so the amp output remains pinned to the negative rail. (or close to the rail)

Last edited:

Ian0

Joined Aug 7, 2020
You need to start with a symmetrical squarewave with 50% mark space ratio, otherwise it has a net DC content, which will quickly get integrated and the output will hit the supply rail.
The NE555 is only working because it’s not quick enough to be producing the mark space ratio that the timing resistors have set.

ericgibbs

Joined Jan 29, 2010
hi I,
If your post is for me, I am already aware of the Integrator limiting at the supply voltage.;)

As yet, as usual, we have no idea what the TS has in mind for this circuit.
E