instrument cluster coding algorithms

bmiller2

Joined Oct 11, 2017
I apologize in advance for this long explanation I am a newbie when it comes to programming.....First let me explain what it is that I am trying to accomplish.... I work for a car dealership and we import vehicles from Canada into the USA... We are responsible for converting the vehicle instrument clusters from Metric to USA Imperial...one of the ways to do this is to swap out the cluster with an American cluster obtained from a salvage yard and to reprogram that salvaged cluster with the correct miles to match the original miles on the car.. i have been able to read and write to the eeprom chips using Xeltek IS01 programmer...when looking at the code on the chips and while knowing current miles stored on the chip, I can take the known miles and convert them to hex and then look for that hex code in the chip and that way i know what piece of code to adjust... but i ran into one that i cant seem to figure out...typically I take the known miles in denary form and convert them into binary and then take the binary and convert it to hex which allows me to search the code for that piece of hex and then i know what piece of code to correct...the one im having a problem with does not seem to work with that process, like im missing a piece of the conversion formula...so i sent out the bin dump file to an outside company who converted the code for me at a cost of $35...So now i have the before and after bin files... I have compared the two and i find the changed code in line 000000A5...that line of code was corrected but i cant seem to decipher how they took the known miles on the chip and converted them to hex in order to find the right piece of code.... if i attach the bin files both before and after maybe you can tell me the formula used....the FIRST bin file is called "2007 jeep compass american" and the SECOND bin file that was corrected is called " 2007 modded jeep compass american "...the miles on the first bin file is 208420 miles possibly stored as kilometers 335419 and it is stored in line 000000A5 and the piece of original code that was changed is " E0 1F 69 13 7A 0D" ... the 2nd bin file( the corrected one ) has corrected miles of 79036 likely stored in kilometers 127196 on line 000000A5 and the new hex code is DB 65 5C 07 1A 01.....I have tried every conversion i can think of from hex to binary to decimal and more but i cant decipher that piece of hex.
I have both bin files for you to look at and maybe you can tell me how they took the known miles of 208420 and converted those miles to hex, then having identified that piece of hex as ( E0 1F 69 13 7A 0D ) therefore allowing them to replace it within the file with the corrected hex of ( DB 65 5C 07 1A 01 ) which represents the corrected miles of 79036.....for some reason this forum wont allow me to attach BIN files ...says wrong format...but i am a newbie so im sure im making a mistake on that as well....I can send anyone interested the BIN files to examine..I am willing to pay for the tech support...my email is <SNIP>

Moderators note: removed email to avoid spam

Last edited by a moderator:

bmiller2

Joined Oct 11, 2017
it is a 2007 Jeep Compass, chip is 93c76

im not sure how to upload the bin files on this forum so you can see the code...sorry, im a newbie

Last edited by a moderator:

bmiller2

Joined Oct 11, 2017
hello fellas, again , i am a newbie so please forgive... where is the best source for me to get schematics for vehicle instrument clusters? so i can power up the clusters while on the bench?

debe

Joined Sep 21, 2010
Usualy the wiring diagram for the vehicle shows the feeds to the instrument panel. I also cut of a section of the wiring loom to the instrument panel from the wrecked car, so its easy to power up.

bwilliams60

Joined Nov 18, 2012
PM me and I will see if I can get you a diagram for this unit.
On another note, what about just moving the EEPROM from one unit to the other and then setting it to read miles?

Last edited:

bmiller2

Joined Oct 11, 2017
Usualy the wiring diagram for the vehicle shows the feeds to the instrument panel. I also cut of a section of the wiring loom to the instrument panel from the wrecked car, so its easy to power up.
Thanks , I'll check the wiring diagram.

bmiller2

Joined Oct 11, 2017
PM me and I will see if I can get you a diagram for this unit.
On another note, what about just moving the EEPROM from one unit to the other and then setting it to read miles?
Thanks bwilliams60. Yes I can move the eeprom from the Canadian cluster to an American cluster but I don't know how to have it ready in miles so to me it seemed easier

bmiller2

Joined Oct 11, 2017
I don't know how to adjust the hex code to display in miles ... I'm sure there is away to do that mabey in the VIN

bmiller2

Joined Oct 11, 2017
I am still working on it...I have a bin file for a 2010 Journey before modification and a bin file after modification...Im new at this but I think I need to use a disassembler to look at both files and find the modification, possibly in a register but again I am new so im looking for advice on how to approach this task

bmiller2

Joined Oct 11, 2017
so to clarify...I have the Canadian Instrument Cluster bin file and I have the same bin file after it has been modded to to read in miles,AND i can look at the hex code and see the modification but i need to see the modification in IDA pro or something so I can pinpoint what modification to make and Im sure its much simpler then Im making it out to be

Taken1983

Joined Nov 5, 2017
Pm me with your email address. I would like to see the Bin files.
Bmiller or bwilliam do you guy know where in the hex file do you change km to mph on a 09-10 Ram? Do you change country code if you can or something in the vin? Just trying to figure out programming like bmiller. It seems impossible to get a direct answer from anyone online. It can be done so someone knows lol.

shortbus

Joined Sep 30, 2009
It seems impossible to get a direct answer from anyone online. It can be done so someone knows lol.
This is the reason there are companies doing this for people. They have invested the time/money into finding the solution, and get paid for doing it. It's the same for the so called "performance chips" some one found the parameters that needed to be modified and did it, then sells them.

bmiller2

Joined Oct 11, 2017
Bmiller or bwilliam do you guy know where in the hex file do you change km to mph on a 09-10 Ram? Do you change country code if you can or something in the vin? Just trying to figure out programming like bmiller. It seems impossible to get a direct answer from anyone online. It can be done so someone knows lol.
hello Taken1983, im finding each vehicle is a little different but Im close to answering your question and ill post it when I have the answer...AND yes companies do offer that service so that is an option that i use currently but i have been able to convert about a dozen clusters myself so Ill just keep working at it

Taken1983

Joined Nov 5, 2017
hello Taken1983, im finding each vehicle is a little different but Im close to answering your question and ill post it when I have the answer...AND yes companies do offer that service so that is an option that i use currently but i have been able to convert about a dozen clusters myself so Ill just keep working at it
Ok thanks bud appreciate it.

I know this is an old thread but I'm confused about what you are trying to do. The Jeep's instrument panel menu allows you to choose the panels read out units. For the 2007 Compass, instructions for changing display units is on page 183 of the owners manual. This will automatically translate any existing stored information to the new units. For example, odometer reading or mileage to the next scheduled oil change.