Instrument cluster burnt pad repair

Weshleh

Joined Nov 4, 2018
Hi all, thanks in advance for any help.

So, I was replacing stepper motors on a GMC truck instrument cluster. There are 4 through hole connections on each of the 6 motors. I did pretty well considering it was my first go at soldering. But I did I burn one of the pads. You cannot see it in the picture, but the pad on the board is gone, which (I assume) is why there is a gap, and why I couldn't get the solder to stick to the board. The board isn't melted deeply where the pad was, just a little black.

Can the pad be fixed?
Can I solder to the lead that is next to it? What is my best option?
IMG_3902.PNG

Thanks,
Wes

Weshleh

Joined Nov 4, 2018
Hey Max, thanks for responding. I'm not sure I follow exactly. It is a good way for what? fixing the pad? soldering to the lead?

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
Presumably the pad was connected to something! Another pad?
If so they can usually be bridged the way I mentioned, unless I am missing something?
Max.

Weshleh

Joined Nov 4, 2018
It is probably me missing something. Forgive my ignorance, I am not very knowledgable in this arena.

So I can just bridge the through hole connection to the other pad the white arrow is pointing at?

I thought solder wick was for removing solder. Seems that you are suggesting I can bridge with it? Or am I misunderstanding?

IMG_3903.PNG

Weshleh

Joined Nov 4, 2018
Ahha! I see what you mean with the solder wick. I just played with it a bit and figured it out.

Soldered it to the white arrow pad. I can now tell how much gas is in my truck.

Problem solved. Thanks Max!