Installing Windows 7 on Ubuntu 14.04

stormbay

Joined Dec 25, 2014
@joeyd999: I have Fedora installed alongside Windows on two PCs, and find it to be more difficult to use (and buggy, but I can live with that) than Windows. The Gnome Software app (which I don't like) doesn't seem to download all of the available updates, so I have to do it manually from the command line ("su -c 'yum update'") and enter the root password every time. Is there something that makes updating easy for any computer user that your friends are using? If so, I'd appreciate knowing what it is.
(Another issue I have with updating in Linux: So much bandwidth is used to download updates that I can often hardly browse the web simultaneously.)[/QUOT

Linux is horses for courses, also started off on fedora but switched to Ubuntu years ago and now use mint, which is the standard one I offer others who want to have a go at open source. Every one is amazed at how simple and easy it is to install and update their linux systems

As Joey has said, Ubuntu and Mint operate flawlessly, updating and software requirements are automatic and use very little bandwidth.

Never had a problem with downloading and browsing, or doing anything else together with mint or Ubuntu (studio). My computer, which is now more than 8 years old, downloads whilst I browse or do multimedia stuff.

Windows uses heaps of band width for downloading bloat ware, but during my long experience with linux, never had a problem, except when I dual booted with bloat ware (win). Then there were problems, yet never encountered them when dual booting with another linux flavour.

frank55

Joined Dec 6, 2013
PS --> for a long time now I have preferred Debian style package managers to Red Hat. Probably just because I have more experience with them.

But, I started with Red Hat Linux many eons ago. In the end, Debian just seems to suit me. Others will have different opinions, which is OK.

Myself i prefer Ubuntu 14.04 with Gnome Flashback,on my Intel I5, i have it connected to my Tv and it performs better then Win7, i have it connected with HDMI and i was able to fit resolution in the screen, i have another PC with WIN7 connected via HDMI to the same tv and the screen has edges cut off.