Installing Windows 10 to a blank new hard drive...

Externet

Joined Nov 29, 2005
Please instruct/clarify if this is the correct way to re-install Win10 to a PC/laptop with a dead hard drive replaced with a blank new one...

- Discard the bad hard drive, replace with new one.
- With another working computer, download the Microsoft "Media creation tool download" from internet.
- Burn that ISO file image to a DVD or CD
- Insert that DVD to the target PC that has the blank new hard drive
- Boot the target PC from that DVD/CD
- Choose install as 'new' while plugged to the internet
- Enter the OS license code on the Microsoft label under the target laptop when prompted.

Is there more steps am missing, or is there something else needed ?

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
It is my understanding that a computer that had a legal Win10 installation won't ask for a key. When the computer was first registered, it registered with Microsoft.

If you change enough hardware that might no longer be the case...

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
You need to have your old key. If you don't have it and the old drive still works somewhat, you can find software online that will didplay your key for you.

Externet

Joined Nov 29, 2005
Thanks.
By 'key' you mean the numbers on the Microsoft OS 'license code' sticker am referring to ? Or key is something else ? Seen also referred as COA -certificate of authenticity- Are all those names for the same ?

The original legal hard drive is very dead, a chunk of metal, now discarded.

Last edited:

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
Thanks.
By 'key' you mean the numbers on the Microsoft OS 'license code' sticker am referring to ? Or key is something else ? Seen also referred as COA -certificate of authenticity- Are all those names for the same ?
Yes that is exactly it. That big long number. What I do is to make a label with that number and stick it to my PCs.

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
MS calls them COA, others call them keys and/or codes.

I usually get a warning when a disk is starting to go bad. When that happens I've always been able to clone the drive before it died.

If you run disk diagnostics, they'll tell you whether any of the SMART features have been tripped.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/S.M.A.R.T.

Externet

Joined Nov 29, 2005
Thanks again.
Got its COA / key / license. That doubt cleared; is there something else (or sequence) to the original post ?

Dr.killjoy

Joined Apr 28, 2013
If the computer has been registered with Win10 before then you don't need the key as Win10 assigns a digital lic.. So on install just skip and when system is online and connected to Internet Win will verify itself and come up as valid..

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
If the computer has been registered with Win10 before then you don't need the key as Win10 assigns a digital lic.. So on install just skip and when system is online and connected to Internet Win will verify itself and come up as valid..
Not in my experience.

Hard drive is is part of the registration. Everything needs to match up.

Externet

Joined Nov 29, 2005
Really hypothetic ---> A Win10 laptop that has been dropped and a truck ran over it. Can its COA key be used to load Win10 onto another laptop new hard drive with the 'media creation tool' on a DVD ?

Dr.killjoy

Joined Apr 28, 2013
Really hypothetic ---> A Win10 laptop that has been dropped and a truck ran over it. Can its COA key be used to load Win10 onto another laptop new hard drive with the 'media creation tool' on a DVD ?
My guess would be no since it has a Digital Lic.. But you always try and see what happens.. Also not sure how true this is but I heard that if you install win10 and use a win7 key that hasn't been upgraded it should give you a valid win10..

Externet

Joined Nov 29, 2005
Yes, they are sold together with a chiseled-out hardware piece of the PC that donated the COA sticker key. -From what I read, to disable forever the original COA equipment-
Which brings back the question... As those keys sold at ebay will be used to install Win10, it will happen onto any brand/model/drive of PC, not a particular type as the donor.

There has to be somewhere a page that explains the Microsoft set rules to do these OS transplants. Have not found it yet.