Installing LTSpice model for IRL540?

MikeML

Joined Oct 2, 2009
If the pin order in the downloaded model matches the generic LTSpice NMOS symbol, then you use the generic symbol with the downloaded model.

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
But the IRL540 has some special characteristics being it is a "logic level" mosfet. Is there a generic LTSpice model that fits those specs? If so how do I find it?

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
Granted I am far, far from an LTSpice expert. I only dabble with very simple circuits. Does LTSpice reflect real word specifications of components?

ronv

Joined Nov 12, 2008
Granted I am far, far from an LTSpice expert. I only dabble with very simple circuits. Does LTSpice reflect real word specifications of components?
Well kind of real world for some or most stuff, but it will let you run components way out of spec. So just because it runs doesn't mean you can ignore the datasheet and expect the real world circuit to work.
Being lazy what I usually do with FETs is pick one out of the standard library with similar specs for Rds on, gate charge and logic level if it is one. So in your case I would just use the IRLR3802.

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
Well kind of real world for some or most stuff, but it will let you run components way out of spec. So just because it runs doesn't mean you can ignore the datasheet and expect the real world circuit to work.
Being lazy what I usually do with FETs is pick one out of the standard library with similar specs for Rds on, gate charge and logic level if it is one. So in your case I would just use the IRLR3802.
Thanks for the tip on IRLR3802. How do you find it in LTSpice? Or do I need to add it?

MikeML

Joined Oct 2, 2009
Take the attached file, testIRL540.zip.txt, down-load it, and then rename it to be just testIRL540.zip. You should then be able to extract the files therein into a clean subdirectory. If you click on 540test.asc, it should start LTSpice and run the sim. Plot the drain voltage and drain current.

This is what you should see:

540.gif

To get the sim to run, I had to download the sihf540-p.lib file from here.
It is html, so I had to use an editor to strip the html to make it a pure text file. That is where the .sub file inside the zip file came from.

I then used my own NMOS symbol (also in the zip file), and I edited the "Spice model" attribute to match the name in the .subckt part of the .sub file...

Attachments

Last edited:

ronv

Joined Nov 12, 2008
Thanks for the tip on IRLR3802. How do you find it in LTSpice? Or do I need to add it?
If you click on the component tool then select NMOS and add it to your schematic. Then you can right click the part in the schematic and it will show you a list of FETs.
But having said that, I led you astray. The IRL530 would be closer.

Bordodynov

Joined May 20, 2015
.model IRLR3802 VDMOS(Rg=3 Vto=1.39 Rd=0.16188m Rs=0.5m Rb=5.75m Kp=56 Cgdmax=2.1n Cgdmin=.5n Cgs=2n Cjo=2.5n Is=2.7p mfg=International_Rectifier Vds=12 Ron=6.5m Qg=27n)

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
Take the attached file, testIRL540.zip.txt, down-load it, and then rename it to be just testIRL540.zip. You should then be able to extract the files therein into a clean subdirectory. If you click on 540test.asc, it should start LTSpice and run the sim. Plot the drain voltage and drain current.

This is what you should see:

View attachment 96473

To get the sim to run, I had to download the sihf540-p.lib file from here.
It is html, so I had to use an editor to strip the html to make it a pure text file. That is where the .sub file inside the zip file came from.

I then used my own NMOS symbol (also in the zip file), and I edited the "Spice model" attribute to match the name in the .subckt part of the .sub file...

Thanks for figuring that all out. I will keep playing with it but it is not plotting anything when I run the simulation. I see the circuit but no plot after running the sim.