Installing a kill switch for my amplifier.

bwilliams60

Joined Nov 18, 2012
The remote wire is a turn on signal from the stereo head unit.
My question is, why do you need a kill switch? The remote wire turns on and off through the head so why would you need another switch.

IMP002017

Joined Jan 28, 2017
They have many different types of Kill switches, It would be used for the Main Power line form your battery to the AMP. You can get the type that looks like a Home Circuit Breaker however most times they are not of very high current I think if memory serves me right it may go to 120amps. However they have Blocks that are black most cases with red trip button and reset area. They range from 30 to 250amps. If you are going to install under hood, Then I would make sure the one you pick is waterproof. They don't always say on the item they are so it most times will on the package.

There are many types just depends on the money you want to spend...

Galion

Joined Jul 20, 2017
The remote wire is a turn on signal from the stereo head unit.
My question is, why do you need a kill switch? The remote wire turns on and off through the head so why would you need another switch.

When its winter and its so cold that it drains my power. I need to turn off my Amp. The only way to do that is by removing the remote wire from my fuse in my car or having my car off. My speakers/amp are 1000 watts

IMP002017

Joined Jan 28, 2017
IF you have to remove wire from your Remote wire then you may want to check over your wiring and make sure of a couple of things...

1, That it is wired right, Connected to the Remote Lead on your car Stereo, Most times Blue or Blue and White
2, If it isn't wired like that or is tied into your cars OEM radio via a LOC then you need to check the LOC and find out why it isn't detecting Audio output to turn on Remote.
3 If its wired wrong Wire it to a switch that you can control when you get in the car. You know it isn't working if you turn on car and no speakers pounding. Just always remember to turn it off before you turn off radio. Also tie this wire into your cars ACC and not constant power side of wiring.

One of my cars don't see much action these days. IT has a Remote Start alarm system, 5,000+ Watt Stereo system. March I started it for the first time since Thanksgiving and started with no issue. It has a 7 year old Optima Yellow top and is far past its prime. I haven't had an issue with battery power since late 90's when I had a bad cell in my DieHard battery.

I would look over your battery and wiring if you have problems with dead batteries..

bwilliams60

Joined Nov 18, 2012
Does the head unit have the remote wire coming out of it? Blue or blue with white trace? If it does, can you check to see if it is working when the unit is on or off?

Galion

Joined Jul 20, 2017
Does the head unit have the remote wire coming out of it? Blue or blue with white trace? If it does, can you check to see if it is working when the unit is on or off?

Its a stock radio so no. It has no blue wire with white stripe. Cant use a aftermarket one because then myford touch will have problems. And it will look weird with one

IMP002017

Joined Jan 28, 2017
How is your Remote turn on wired? Seeing going to factory head unit? What model year is your car?

Most cars have OEM Amps and means they have turn on lead from head unit... If your connected to constant power for your remote then I would at the least run it form your OEM Remote turn on lead. Even my 2000 Iimpala has an OEM amp

If your radio don't have Remote lead. then you could use almost any switch that you can mount hidden or in dash. If one indash I would look for one with a LED or light so you know your switched on. I would as I stated before tie into your ACC side of the wiring so when you turn off the car that power would also go off. Using a Relay can release the POP that could be heard from powering on by switch

IN most cases if you have it wired only to ACC when you turn on the radio after you started the car it will give you a POP however not talking about going straight to ACC but though a switch on ACC side incase you forget to turn off the amp when you turn off the car it will auto turn off.

Also as stated before, There are some LOC *Line Output Converter* that have the ability to have power input and give a Remote turn on, This can at times work wrong and leave the amps on all the time. These are designed to notice input from the radio to provide the remote out. To be honest some are just junk form the start and never really worked lol...