Installed used 2 post auto hoist. What is the purpose of this switch?

Pdunn154

Joined Jan 16, 2017
IMG_20170115_184610835.jpg I have just installed a used auto hoist, can anyone explain this switch and best way to wire it? I live quite a ways out and can't get an electrician for a month minimum. Took photos of the hydraulic plumbing but phone died before taking photo of electrical connections. Also seemed so easy that I did not draw it out. Doesn't seem so easy now! The motor ( in the pic) is a replacement 5hp (22 amp, SNG phase 220 motor), but the rest looks original. The Wht and Blk wires coming in to the switch from above is the normally open switch which when closed allows power to the motor to raise the hoist. The blk is connected to a rear terminal of this switch that I don't understand. (behind terminal 13). The Grn (ground) , Wht and Blk wires entering the switch box from below are from/to the motor. The power supply {not shown) is Blk, Wht and Ground. Some additional info; this switch has a red reset button, it has 4 black squares that I can't really call buttons between the 1 and 2 , 3 and 4, 5 and 6 and 13 and 14 #' .When powered I believe they move inward like when I push one all 4 will move but spring back out flush.The upper terminal lugs (from the left reset button which is labeled 96, then T3, T2 and T1. I do recall that the grn and bare wires were grounded( Duh), and the whites were mauretted together but I do not remember where the black power supply wire went. Is anyone familiar with this type of switch? Thank you and sorry for the perhaps unintelligible gibberish. IMG_20170115_184604075.jpg IMG_20170115_184610835.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

shortbus

Joined Sep 30, 2009
Giving the brand and model numbers of the lift would probably help a lot. Just guessing from the pictures it looks like a contactor/motor starter. Should also be a number on it too.

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
That is a Princess Auto product so I assume you are in Canada?
Looks like a contactor to me, visit the local store if you have one and see if it is an off the shelf system, although it is highly likely it could be custom made from P.A. components.
Max.

Hypatia's Protege

Joined Mar 1, 2015
Just guessing from the pictures it looks like a contactor
Looks like a contactor to me
FWIW I think @Pdunn154 knows it's a contactor but is uncertain as to its specific control function in his machine?
My guess is that it's a 'direction selector' but then being, as I am, 'oh-for-two' 'round here (where electric motors are concerned) perhaps I'd better 'jus shadap and 'listen'!:oops:;):)

Best regards
HP:cool:

Pdunn154

Joined Jan 16, 2017
That is a Princess Auto product so I assume you are in Canada?
Looks like a contactor to me, visit the local store if you have one and see if it is an off the shelf system, although it is highly likely it could be custom made from P.A. components.
Max.
Yes, You are correct there. I am in Canada. It is a Princess auto stocked motor and pump, but not the switch.
Thanks

Pdunn154

Joined Jan 16, 2017
Hypatia's, I appreciate the confidence in my knowledge but I don't know much. I was thinking perhaps a relay which a Contactor sort of is but I thought for higher voltage, But all these circuits are similar voltage, both a relay and Contactor are used for a circuit which has a much lower power level than the switched circuit aren't they? Unless I guess the Normally open (on/off) switch is a lower power circuit.

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
It looks very much like one of P.A. hydraulic pumps, what is the form of auto hoist? The different buttons could be operating hyd. valves?
Max.

Pdunn154

Joined Jan 16, 2017
View attachment 118793 I have just installed a used auto hoist, can anyone explain this switch and best way to wire it? I live quite a ways out and can't get an electrician for a month minimum. Took photos of the hydraulic plumbing but phone died before taking photo of electrical connections. Also seemed so easy that I did not draw it out. Doesn't seem so easy now! The motor ( in the pic) is a replacement 5hp (22 amp, SNG phase 220 motor), but the rest looks original. The Wht and Blk wires coming in to the switch from above is the normally open switch which when closed allows power to the motor to raise the hoist. The blk is connected to a rear terminal of this switch that I don't understand. (behind terminal 13). The Grn (ground) , Wht and Blk wires entering the switch box from below are from/to the motor. The power supply {not shown) is Blk, Wht and Ground. Some additional info; this switch has a red reset button, it has 4 black squares that I can't really call buttons between the 1 and 2 , 3 and 4, 5 and 6 and 13 and 14 #' .When powered I believe they move inward like when I push one all 4 will move but spring back out flush.The upper terminal lugs (from the left reset button which is labeled 96, then T3, T2 and T1. I do recall that the grn and bare wires were grounded( Duh), and the whites were mauretted together but I do not remember where the black power supply wire went. Is anyone familiar with this type of switch? Thank you and sorry for the perhaps unintelligible gibberish. View attachment 118794 View attachment 118793
Took a bunch of photos, this switch is a Benedikt & Jager K9-A10St (I think its a T, its pretty smudged and can find no reference to it on the net). There are few ebay sellers with K9-A10S. On the B&J Contactor cover Pic, I assume it is the lower schematic as my motor and feed are single phase.
I know (or like to think I know) a couple of things;
1- the green wire from motor is a ground and tied into the bare from the line feed.
2- the white wire from motor and white from line feed are marretted together with the white wire from the Normally Open On/Off switch.
3. the black wire from the Normally open switch ( [Burgess in pics], which only has white and black wires) is wired to the rear #5 terminal on contactor switch. (It was never detached)
This only leaves the black from the 220 line feed, do any of the photos or the schematic help determine that?
Thanks for the help so far.
pete

Attachments

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
Looks like a typical 3ph contactor, the B&J dwg shows a hook-up for a 3ph and 1ph motor, in your case 1ph.
If those P.B. are wired then you may have to trace any existing wiring to them, in fact the best idea is to draw out a schematic showing exactly what is wired already.
I suspect it is just a simple stop start circuit, but there may be more.
Max.

shortbus

Joined Sep 30, 2009
I suspect it is just a simple stop start circuit, but there may be more.
I agree on this, it being a "stop/start" for the pump. And then there would be a solenoid valve to control the hydraulic fluid direction. Never seen a hydraulic system that reverses the pump. There should also be some limit switches to control the lift range too. Or the up/down could be controlled by a manual(lever) valve. If the lift maker and model was known there is probably a installation manual online some where.

Pdunn154

Joined Jan 16, 2017
Yes Maxheadroom and Shortbus, I agree that it is a start stop for the pump, a hand lever when pressed against the switch (in the pic, hoist Normally open switch.jpg ) , completes the circuit and energises the Contactor allowing the motor to be powered. There used to be a limit switch but when I took possession it was disconnected and the switch damaged.
I contacted the manufacturer of the contactor and they first said that is not a model #, but next email when I sent them a picture they looked into it and said it is an old discontinued model and suggested a new one. As it is, it is an integrated Mag switch and overload protector. I spent an hour with a meter and determined a few tidbits. When the black "buttons?" between the contact is energised or pushed in, there is continuity between 1 -2, 3-4, 5-6. there is also, (energised or not) continuity between the rear terminal where the black from the Normally open switch is attached and the #5 terminal, and obviously to the #6 when energised only. This makes me believe that if I attach the black to the #6 terminal I could be in business. Or I could blow it up and burn down the Garage! probably 60/40 in favour of explosion, or at least trip a breaker and wreck a switch.

LesJones

Joined Jan 8, 2017
Is the hand lever the only control on the hoist ? Is this a three position lever that operated a hydraulic vave to control the direction and has it three positions off (centre position) up and down. Does this lever also operate the Burgess micro switch in both the up and the down position (But not in the centre off position.) ? The contactor is a three pole contactor with thermal overloads. The diagram on what looks like a plastic moulding shows the motor power wiring for both single phase (Bottom) and three phase (top) but it does not show the wiring to the coil of the contactor. I would have expected the hoist to have two limit switches. One to cut it out at the fully up position and one to stop it in the fully down position. These would normaly be normaly closed switches connected in series with the contactor coil. There may also be emergency stop buttons connected in series with the coil. (This will depend on whether the control lever has to be held in position fot the lift to operate.) You should not try to use the lift without the limit swtches. The connections for the coil on the contactor will probably be under the connections to the motor and incomming power.

Les.

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
You need a 3ph motor contactor, sized to suit the motor, you need a 3 contact with auxiliary contact or a 4 contact contactor.
They are a common item and can be had at any electrical supplier locally or off of ebay, I prefer Telemecanique (Group Shnieder) as they are compact and aux contacts can be clipped on, if yours has O/L's on the bottom, you would need this also.
If the contactor is still OK, use the PDF I posted to pick the closest circuit or as an assist.
You just take one of the motor feeds through a contact and back through the third contact when using 1ph motor as shown in your jpg's.
Max.

LesJones

Joined Jan 8, 2017
Hi Max,
I get the impression from post #01 that it is a single phase motor. I also get the impression that the contactor is not configured to latch in when a start button is pressed and drop out when a stop button is pressed. This should be clearer when the OP answers the questions I asked in post #17

More questions for Pdunn154.
Are there two terminals below the terminals 1. 3. 5. 13 ? if so there will be the contacor coil. (The contactor is just a big 4 pole relay.)
Does the black wire from the switch go to one of the coil terminals ?
What if anything is connected to the other coil terminal ?
What is the black wire from the motor connected to ?
What does the black incoming power wire connect to ?
The contactor also has three thermal overload trips fitted. These will trip a set of contacts if there is an overload. The red button will reset theis set of contacts. (I think these contacts are terminals 85 and 96 I can't read them as the pictures are out of focus and over exposed.)
I have rvised my view of how the hoist works. I think the pump only operates to raise the hoist. I think the lever just allows hydraulic fluid out of the cylinders to lower the hoist. (In this case the lever would only need to operate the burgess switch for the up direction.
I think the contactor is only switching one side of the power. (The incoming white wire is connected directly to the motor.)

Les.

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
These will trip a set of contacts if there is an overload. The red button will reset theis set of contacts. (I think these contacts are terminals 85 and 96 I can't read them as the pictures are out of focus and over exposed.).
The standard NO's for O/L terminals are 95-96 NC, 97-98 NO (if fitted).
The 95-96 shown are traditionally wired in series with the contactor coil.
Max,