inside an IGBT inverter welder transistor, foreign design

donax

Joined Oct 12, 2020
Hello guys, this is my first post of something that I like and I always call attention, the interior design of the power transistors, it was always said that the "incorporated" diode of the igbt is a feature that can not be avoided, but look this, it is a 40n60npfd of an inverter welder that fails, it is the original transistor that were put short and flew , we can clearly see that the "switch" is the white square, and the black rectangle (right) is the diode, and it is a diode because I measure it, but that is the report, what behavior will it have without the diode? WhatsApp Image 2020-10-12 at 1.09.34 PM (1).jpegWhatsApp Image 2020-10-12 at 1.09.34 PM (2).jpegWhatsApp Image 2020-10-12 at 1.09.34 PM.jpeg

soyez

Joined Aug 17, 2020
Since a bipolar transistor is essentially two diodes, it can function as such. However, since bipolar transistors are not designed to be used as diodes, using them as diodes might cause a problem in terms of current and other ratings. ... Use dedicated diodes for typical diode applications instead of bipolar transistors.