insect spray timer approx 60 sec delay, 0.1 sec discharge

Poor old sod

Joined Jul 25, 2017
i would like a complete cct, with component values. VCC= BL-5L LiPO.. Iout short pulse abr 100mA to motor. motor can be in series with capacitor for discharge current. motor has homing arc. normall power is 2x alkaline AA, at 1 pulse evey 30 sec, for abt 1/2 sec total, battery life exceeds 30days. timing error alowed, near enuf will do. consistantcy required.

Reloadron

Joined Jan 15, 2015

twohats

Joined Oct 28, 2015
I accidently deleted my last post.
I loaded the Picaxe program, but it didn't sit well on the forum.
So it was deleted as I thought. But no, the previous post was delete instead.

Reloadron

Joined Jan 15, 2015
I accidently deleted my last post.
I loaded the Picaxe program, but it didn't sit well on the forum.
So it was deleted as I thought. But no, the previous post was delete instead.
While I haven't used it as of late I have PICAXE on the system. Someday I should dig out some of that stuff and get reacquainted with it. :)

Ron

Reloadron

Joined Jan 15, 2015
I would guess these dispensers just use a simple ATTiny or PICAXE chip with the PICAXE being easier to program. Never took one apart.

Rn

Poor old sod

Joined Jul 25, 2017
DickCappels
thank you.
Others: my glade unit very different, have seached for correct cheap airwick dispenser, found one in usa but horrific postage. in Oz these are around $50 online, I doubt coles/woolies any better. I'll try reject shop....

edit: coles/woolies $22- with fragrance-very good. an earlier poster said 3x AA batts, that prob means I can use LiPO cell with series diode as power source, but not whilst charging?

Last edited:

twohats

Joined Oct 28, 2015
Thankyou Dick Cappels for you advice, It was my fault the wrong post was deleted. Defense rests (Reading 'A Time For Mercy' by John Grisham.
P O S & Ron,
The Airwick & Glade are practically identical. They run on 2 AA batteries. The circuit board is quite small and cleverly
engineered. The microprocessor is just a black blob, for which the name escapes me.
I had to use 3 AA batteries in order to power the Picaxe 08M2 microprocessor. All components were new, nothing used from the original dispenser, except the dispenser itself and the motor. If you require any more info, just ask.
Good luck............

twohats

Joined Oct 28, 2015
My Picaxe code ;
'BATHROOM Fet Airwick(mk9 v2.7 19.03.20)UPDATED 05.11.22 154 Bytes
; SPRAYS every 40 mins Kitchen & Bathroom
;(Breadboard version 1.0 Downloaded 22.04.19 Kitchen) See v2.1
#picaxe 08m2 'LOW BATTERY SHUTDOWN (3 x AA) + Sleep
#No_data
#Terminal 4800
#Com 3
Sertxd("AIRWICK 0(mk9 v2.7 19.03.20)UPDATED 05.11.22",13,10)

Let dirs = 00000111 ;
Symbol nref = w2 ;New Calibadc
Symbol vpsu = w3
Symbol counter = b1
Symbol spray = C.1 ;FET
Symbol greenled = C.2
Symbol redled = C.0
Symbol sensoradc = C.4
Symbol luxamount = b2

Main:
Disablebod '23.04.19
Sleep 8 '= 18 secs ;wait 18 secs after inserting batts
Readadc sensoradc, luxamount ;Every 40 Mins (Daylight)
If luxamount < 60 Then ;every 20 secs
Goto DelayCycle ;was 100
Endif
Batterycheck: ;USED IN PORCH CAMERA 01.04.17
Calibadc10 nref ;>>>>>CHECKING BATTERIES<<<<<
vpsu = 52378/nref * 2 ;3 x AA
;Sertxd ( " Vpsu = ",#w3," ", Cr, Lf ) 'Re-insert during simulation v2.2
If vpsu <= 300 Then ;if supply is <= 3v00
Goto LowBattery
endif
OperateAerosol: ;OEM = 600 mS
High spray
Pause 400 ; 400 mS was 500 mS
Low spray
Pause 20000 ;was 2000
For counter = 1 To 120 ' was 180 'Now 120x20s = 37 mins NOW
High greenled ;Led on Flash every 20 secs
Pause 200 ;Wait 200mS (270x2mS=540mS Overhead)
Low greenled
'Pause 19800 ;wait 20 sec
Sleep 8 '18.4 secs
Next counter
Goto main

DelayCycle:
Sleep 150 ;150 x 2.3s = 345/ 60 = 6 min
Goto main
LowBattery:
;Sertxd ( " Vpsu1 = ",#w3," ", Cr, Lf ) 'Re-insert during simulation v2.2
Do
High redled 'action: 'work stops, low volts warning < 3v00
Pause 100 'flash warning RED LED = CHANGE BATTERIES
Low redled
Pause 1000
Loop ;Until BATTERIES CHANGED

Poor old sod

Joined Jul 25, 2017
ok, i read the data sheet on the chip. it will be quite happy on my LiPO bsttery, even whilst being charged. the default times are ok, so it's just a matter of grafting it in. should not be hard to do. iI'll examine the oem timer to see what parts it used to see why it failed. It was a Mortein Powerguard Automatic indoor/outdoor insect spray. I read much comment that a recent model change resulted in frequent expensive failures-so I guess the micro was changed to something less robust, along with the mechanical fails. this solution is still cheaper than a replacement oem unit, and seems more durable. It also allows a much longer pause betwen sprays by default, lowering the toxicity in enclosed spaces, and extending the working life of the can well beyond 28days.. the cans are formozzies and flies, and only 152g, 50ug/spray, Normally exhausted in 24hrs on outdoor setting 20sec between sprays, and abt 28days indoor - spraying every 40sec? Totally tired of buying new batteries [alkaline only] and cans which vary from abt $5ea for generic to $17ea for Mortein The cheap ones are Pyretherin based-which I'm told , is harmless to humans, but not the hydrocarbon propellants. I've never bought the dear ones, but if more toxic I don't want to breathe them for long. they are for well ventilated spaces only, without naked flames/kids/pets/food.. my thanks for a good solution. /end thread.

Last edited:

twohats

Joined Oct 28, 2015
P O S,
Do you need to spray day and night?
That's what brought me to modify the Airwick's they were spraying all night long for zero benefit.
Now they only perform in daylight or artificial light, saving spray and extending battery life .
I will endeavor to post the circuit diagram later, probably a jpeg.

Reloadron

Joined Jan 15, 2015
Ron,
Thank you for your kind comments.
As you can see, I'm not a programmer, but after many updates I'm just about there.
I do enjoy going back over my projects, to try and improve them. (There is plenty of scope).
P O S, Getting Started with the PICAXE system.
Good luck............
If I would have needed to rely on my programming skills I would have starved to death years ago. :) Retired going on 10 years I was fortunate to participate in hiring several very good programming types. Truth be known after I retired I started doing more programming and playing around with PICAXE and Arduino as well as similar. Keeps me active and if I don't exercise a few brain cells I hear the brain turns to oatmeal. :)

Ron

Last edited: