Solar and battery powered LED insect attractor

Lagom

Joined Feb 8, 2019
Hi,

I've put together a circuit with some ready-made PCBs. A PV solar panel charges a Li-Po battery (works). The Li-Po battery powers a buck/boost LED driver (works, too). However, this set-up is supposed to go on the top branch of a high tree, so manual operation is impossible. Therefore, I want to modify the set-up so that 1. the battery is charged from dawn to dusk, if sufficient insolation is present, and 2. the buck/boost LED driver is powered from dusk onwards until the battery is depleted; the same thing, day after day. After looking at various electronics for beginners projects, it seems I can get this to work with a p-channel MOSFET, simply using the PV solar panel as "dusk-onset detector". There should also be some hysteresis I suppose, but that could come in the next step.

I have no EE experience yet and hope you can look at the attached schematic, if this is the way to go, or if I need something else altogether.

Thanks!

Skärmbild 2019-02-09  21.15.29.png

Lagom

Joined Feb 8, 2019
The specifications of the parts are in the schematic. Which ones do you think are missing? I can add them no problem.

If this is a reasonable way to go, how would I calculate the right value for the gate resistor?

AlbertHall

Joined Jun 4, 2014
The specifications of the parts are in the schematic. Which ones do you think are missing? I can add them no problem.

If this is a reasonable way to go, how would I calculate the right value for the gate resistor?
The value of the gate resistor will make no discernible difference as the MOSFET gate current is negligible.