input impedance...?

KingKK

Joined Feb 13, 2007
hi, i'm a dumb newbie!

I need to find a suitable transceiver for transmitting a voltage signal (0-5 Volts) from a sensor. From the sensor's datasheet I read the following: "Please note connection considerations: Analogue output load is min. 10 kOhm, max. 20 nF."

This means that the sensor has to be connected to a device (load) with an input impedance of at least 10 kOhm, right? But why is the maximum value given in farads?

Thanks

beenthere

Joined Apr 20, 2004
That's 20 nanofarads. 2.0^-10 farads. That means that, in addition to the necessary load resistance, you can have problems if the capacitance is too great - like in a long run of coaxial cabling.

What distance do you need to send the signal over, and is it a DC level, or some signal frequency that goes from 0 to 5 volts?

beenthere

Joined Apr 20, 2004
All right, 2.0^-8 farads. Having been brought up on micrmicrofarads, nanofarads still give me fits on occasion (saving face here).

KingKK

Joined Feb 13, 2007
Oh, that's what it means. Should have guessed it.
Still, thanks a lot.

It's a DC level signal and I only need to send it a few inches (from the sensor to the transmitter). And I'm using two separate wires, so capacitance shouldn't be that big of a problem?