Inline volume control for headphones

seayaker

Joined Jan 27, 2009
I need to add a volume control to a box I'm building for headphone outputs. There are many of these for sale but rather than buying one and taking it apart, I wonder if any one knows what componets are used to make one. I tried simply connecting a double 1k pot to the + wires of each channel but it doesn't work. I can't find a diagram for this if anyone knows thank's in advance.

Attachments

Audioguru again

Joined Oct 21, 2019
Headphones have a wide range of impedance. 1k volume controls work fine with high impedance headphones but work like an on-off switch with 8 ohms to 32 ohms headphones.
Please show how you connected the volume control, it is not a simple series rheostat, instead it should be an adjustable voltage divider.

seayaker

Joined Jan 27, 2009
hi sea,
Post a sketch showing how you connected the two 1k pots, we may be able to suggest a modification.
E
I just connected the + in to the wiper and + out to one side gnd to the other. I was hoping to find out how the commercial ones are wired

ericgibbs

Joined Jan 29, 2010
hi sea,
This video should give you an idea how to wire a volume pot.
The 1K pots you have are too low a resistance value, try 10k or 25k Logarithmic pots.
E

Audioguru again

Joined Oct 21, 2019
Have you ever seen headphones that have an amplifier in them?
The amplifier has a high input impedance to work well with the 10k to 25k volume control.
The guy in the video with the speaker with an amplifier in it used a WRONG linear pot marked "B" instead of a logarithmic pot marked "A".

ericgibbs

Joined Jan 29, 2010
It makes no diffrence, either way is the same
hi,
I don't understand what you mean.??
E

Update:
IF you mean your way of wiring and my way of wiring the pots.
Your way, when the Volume is turned down, the pot shorts out the Input signal to 0V/Gnd, which is not a good idea.

Last edited:

seayaker

Joined Jan 27, 2009
hi,
I don't understand what you mean.??
E

Update:
IF you mean your way of wiring and my way of wiring the pots.
Your way, when the Volume is turned down, the pot shorts out the Input signal to 0V/Gnd, which is not a good idea.
OK, I understand, you're right