Infra Red receiver collector transistor output

spike1947

Joined Feb 4, 2016
Ah. Yes you are correct there, I thought it was the other way round
Here are the two circuits I've described.

1 - has the same operating polarity as described in post #1.Q1 acts as an emitter follower, not a saturated switch, so its Vbe is in series with the relay coil. This is why you must be sure the relay will operate reliably with only 4 V on its coil.

2 - is operationally the same as #1, but in this circuit the relay driver transistor Q3 is acting as a saturated switch, so almost the entire 5 V appears across the relay coil. A variation of this circuit uses two identical NPN transistors, but is much less efficient in the off state.

ak
View attachment 225917
Hi
Thanks for the info, the ir receiver I have has 3 leads , not sure how they fit to the drawings you have posted !.
Spike

eetech00

Joined Jun 8, 2013
Ah. Yes you are correct there, I thought it was the other way round
If you just want to drive a 5v,70ma relay, the sensor output can sink 100ma, so the relay coil can be connected directly to the sensor output. Connect the other end of the relay coil to +5v. Connect a diode across the relay coil (cathode to +5, anode to sensor output side of coil). When the sensor activates, the relay coil will energize.

spike1947

Joined Feb 4, 2016
If you just want to drive a 5v,70ma relay, the sensor output can sink 100ma, so the relay coil can be connected directly to the sensor output. Connect the other end of the relay coil to +5v. Connect a diode across the relay coil (cathode to +5, anode to sensor output side of coil). When the sensor activates, the relay coil will energize.
Hi
Yes, tks, that is what I was wanting initially, but I wanted to use the Receiver output to ground to switch a trans on, because I thought the 70mA of the relay was a bit too near the max 100mA of the receiver, so just wanted a bit of room there and would take the load of the Receiver ! .
cheers
Spike

bertus

Joined Apr 5, 2008
Translated from the datasheet:

Model: QT50CM Technical parameters:
1. Induction distance: 50cm
2. Induction method: through-beam type (non-transparent)
3. Working voltage: DC3.0VDC-5.5VDC
4. Working current: 10MA
5. Output method: 0V or 5VNPN/PNP Open (normally closed to be customized)
6. Output current: 100mA (can directly drive the relay)
7. Transmitting angle: straight line (infrared light)
8. Receiving angle: <10 degrees
9. Response time: 2ms
10. Working temperature: -25 degrees 60 degrees
11. Working environment: indoor (not waterproof)
12. Dimensions: length 2cm, width 1cm, height 0.9cm
13. Cable length: 15cm Transmitting: red wire = 5VCC / black wire = GND receiving: red wire =5VCC/black wire=GND/yellow wire=OUT(NPN)

https://cdn-shop.adafruit.com/product-files/2168/C2917.pdf

Bertus

eetech00

Joined Jun 8, 2013
Hi
Yes, tks, that is what I was wanting initially, but I wanted to use the Receiver output to ground to switch a trans on, because I thought the 70mA of the relay was a bit too near the max 100mA of the receiver, so just wanted a bit of room there and would take the load of the Receiver ! .
cheers
Spike
I think there's enough headroom to not worry, but I appreciate that you do. :)