inductor / capacitor

nzx22

Joined Jun 6, 2009
i'm currently tryin 2 make an inductor of 100mH & a capacitor of (4gotten hw many..)nF.

inductor: is it possible fr me to use Silicon GO steel as d core?
if so, whr do i find dis metal??

capacitor: is aluminum foil enough fr dis project? wut is d permiability
of aluminum foil?

help is much appreciated...
thx a mil..

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
The foil isn't too bad, though you are better with something you can solder to, and that is very thin. Saran wrap or wax paper make a good dielectric. Generally people buy caps because the quality and size (especially size) of what you buy is so much better.

Coils are basic DIY material. Search this site for DIY inductors and you'll see a thread I started a while back. Basically the internet is full of calculators where you plug in the physical dimensions and get the inductance.

DickCappels

Joined Aug 21, 2008
The permeability of aluminum is about 1.257x10-6 H/mm.

Steel for magnetics is hard to come across. For core material, try buying a transformer or salvaging a transformer from an appliance and taking it apart.

Tahmid

Joined Jul 2, 2008
Hi nzx22,
If you want to use the inductor in linear circuit/low frequency circuit, then you can use normal silicon sheet with which transformer is made. If you want to use the inductor in smps circuit, then you have to use ferrite core of any nature, like toroid,ee,etd,erl,pot etc. If you know calculation,then it is alright- otherwise you have to adjust turns with a good LCR meter to have required inductance.
For capacitor, you can use aluminum foil as capacitance is low. Use aluminum foil and place thin polypropylene sheets both the sides of foil and wind. Don't forget to place 2 copper pins from both sides of the foil for connection.
Hope this will help.

babyboyx

Joined Jun 2, 2009
permiability of aluminum: could u pls giv d permiability of aluminum in F/m?
:confused:
for capacitor: what hse whole item could b used as a gud dielecitc material fr a capacitor

for inductor: is silicon GO steel a gud core to use? if so whr cn it b found, or in what apparatus could it b found in?