Indicators Query: 3 Momentary buttons

themightyduc

Joined Aug 24, 2018
Hello all! I am an amateur to circuitry, basic experience dabbling in motorcycle electronics which is where I would like help.

I need to power the 12V left and right indicator circuits from three momentary buttons on the handlebars. So left, right and cancel as three distinct functions.

I don’t know if I am asking the impossible or if it’s straightforward so I hopefully await any knowledge anyone can share. My preference being the simplest and most compact solution.

Thanks

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
Welcome to AAC!

What you want is called a radio button. You'll need flip flops of some type to save state from presses of the momentary switches.

Simple and compact are ambiguous terms.

themightyduc

Joined Aug 24, 2018
A radio button circuit appears to suit, thanks dl. I’ll need to look into those and flip flops and (hopefully) figure out how they work, completely new to me.

An SPDT toggle would be the easy option Max, it is how all are as standard but I’m working with a particular button set that I prefer.

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
A radio button circuit appears to suit, thanks dl. I’ll need to look into those and flip flops and (hopefully) figure out how they work, completely new to me.
upload_2018-8-24_10-11-41.png
You'll need a transistor on the output of the flip flops to drive the lights low side. Top output is for the left light.

Power is probably dirty, so you need to protect the circuit from voltage spikes. You can add a capacitor across R2 S2 to force both lights off when power is applied. Decoupling caps are also required; one on each chip is the usual recommendation.

EDIT: Change R2 to S2 for power on reset.

Last edited:

themightyduc

Joined Aug 24, 2018
The diagram was very helpful, I have sketched a rough diagram using 3 12v relays that I believe should work for my purpose based on the same logic. Assuming the circuit itself to be properly fused and the regulator to be working as intended.

Forgive my sins with regard to diagram symbols and labelling. I have much to learn.

Attachments

themightyduc

Joined Aug 24, 2018
This is the wiring relevant to the botton operation, the flasher is downstream.

The switches marked A are the coil terminals that would activate both switches in the relay if I have done my working correctly. This then bypasses the directional button (1/2) until the cancel button (3) is pressed. This cuts the power momentarily using a 5 way relay and causes the others to reset to a neutral state.

It should also allow both 1 and 2 to be pressed simultaineously for hazard lights.

themightyduc

Joined Aug 24, 2018
I realised I have drawn two switches in the relays where it should be 1 coil + one switch, thanks Bernard. Confused myself a little, an otherwise solid setup I believe (please correct me if mistaken).