Implementing D Flip-Flops into a circuit

kevob33

Joined Oct 26, 2015
Hi,

I have just started learning about D Flip-Flops and believe that I understand how they function. However, I have an assignment where I have to create a circuit for a Tic Tac Toe game in the program Logisim, while implementing D Flip-Flops into the circuit. So for example, the circuit has to have a section where it has an "Illegal Move Indicator" - that is that an LED lights up if one of the players chooses a box that has already been used by the other player. I am very lost as to how to create this using D Flip-Flops.

We have already created a Tic Tac Toe game previously without using D Flip-Flops. Here is an example of my circuit with the Illegal Move Indicator:

Capture.PNG

Here is my D Flip-Flop circuit I have created in Logisim:

DFF.PNG

So I now need to implement one or more of these D Flip-Flop circuits within my Illegal Move circuit as so:

2.PNG

Here the blue dot is "D" in my D Flip-Flop circuit and the two red dots are Q and Q'. I need this to function so that if, for example, A1 is selected (A1=1) and then B1 is selected , the output from this circuit will to be equal to 1.

Do I need to edit my flip flop circuit so that it has two input, one of which acts as the clock, and then have just Q as the only output? I really am lost and don't know where to start.

Thank you for any help in adavnce

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
If you don't need one of the outputs, then just don't connect it to anything. You still need the signal internally within the FF so there's no simplification to be had.

kevob33

Joined Oct 26, 2015
If you don't need one of the outputs, then just don't connect it to anything. You still need the signal internally within the FF so there's no simplification to be had.
Thank you for your reply, but I am still completely lost as to how I can have A1 and B1 as inputs into a DFF and an output of 1 when both A1=1 and B1=1.

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
A FF is used to store state information. If you just want to have a circuit that outputs a 1 when A1 and B1 are both 1, then you used an AND gate.

What you are doing here is (or at least I think this is the intend) is to allow the use of momentary switches (perhaps even a single set of switches) and have each position remember if it is open or, if not, who selected it.