I'm new to Electronics and I'm struggling with it. Need help!? Please!?

jay7

Joined Dec 4, 2017
I'm totally lost. If anyone can show me how to 1. Find Total current 2.Total circuit power consumed 3. Whats the meaning of R3456? Does that mean RESISTOR 3, 4,5,6 or something totally different? Again, I'm new to the electronics scene, don't know if I can cut it, but I would like to learn and at least try. I previously did a few sample questions using Ohms Law and Watts Law in previous chapters of my text book,But I'm totally lost on this. Any help I would greatly appreciate! Thank you! P.S. Would like someone to show me the steps to work out the problems, to retrieve the answers.

Attachments

AVINASH_08

Joined Jan 14, 2016
Use parallel combination between R2 and R3456 then make calculation for series with next one. you will get answer.
R3456 is complete name.It may be calculate from or given name from several other calculated resistor.

jay7

Joined Dec 4, 2017
Use parallel combination between R2 and R3456 then make calculation for series with next one. you will get answer.
R3456 is complete name.It may be calculate from or given name from several other calculated resistor.
Thank you so much for your reply!!! And your time!!! : )

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
Welcome to AAC!

Circuit in question for those adverse to opening PDF files:
upload_2017-12-4_18-19-16.png
I'm new to the electronics scene, don't know if I can cut it, but I would like to learn and at least try. I previously did a few sample questions using Ohms Law and Watts Law in previous chapters of my text book
Is this homework?

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
If he is really just starting out, he may not yet have heard of "loop equations" or even know what a "current source" is, let alone how to transform part of the circuit into one.

Of course, he may. We don't know.

@jay7: Where are you at in your studies thus far?

Assuming that you really are at the beginning, can you R2 and R3456 into a single, effective resistor?

R3456 is just the name of a single resistor 4 kΩ resistor, but it is likely the effective resistance of R3, R4, R5, and R6. You have no idea how those four resistors are actually connected. Perhaps it is four 1 kΩ resistors connected in series, or perhaps it is four 16 kΩ resistors connected in parallel, or perhaps any of a few dozen other possibilities. Doesn't matter. From the perspective of this problem those four resistors (if that's what it is) behave just like a single 4 kΩ resistor.

Once you have combined R2 and R3456 (call the combination of them R23456), can you combine that with R1 to get the total resistance as seen by the battery?

From there can you get the total current?

Do that much and see what you get. Once we get that much correct, we'll move on.

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
MOD NOTE: Moved to Homework Help.

You'll get assistance that is more aimed at helping you learn the concepts needed to solve the problem instead of just giving you the answer to the problem.