If we need to start to make the IC ,what should I start with

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
First ,I will start with a QFN and QFP package IC from the wafer to testing,if there is someone who could give me an idea of how much I need to find the investigate,that will be great appreciated.
You have things backwards. You need to define your process requirements first. If you need an advanced process, you should do your design at a foundry. You get the advantage of the latest process generations and don't have to buy any equipment (the current ASML EUV machines are $350M each). Unless you have high enough volume to keep a factory running at near capacity, it will eat up your profit margin.

You need someone to develop your process and a team that can make it yield. You need a team that characterizes the process and uses that data to make programs that do performance verification on the layout. You need a team to write programs to check design rules, connectivity, reliability verification, etc. And you need software to do schematic/layout entry. If you're going to automate some layout, you need a place and route program. And something that can simulate the circuit from high level descriptor languages. The list of programs you need can be large and licenses for those programs can be costly.

Last edited:

davidzhao

Joined Apr 2, 2024
THis appears to be an entirely different situation. Putting dies into a housing is one of the last steps of IC production.

That is not even close to what we understood from post#1. Not at all the same!!!
We start from the back to the front .First,we do the auto molding for the IC of QFN or QFP or even SOT to win some customers for package and testing who design the IC,then when the company run well,I could start to recruit some top for the IC design and verify to do the design,then I could get the help of the wafer company to make the die for me.Then the whole company could run .

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
We start from the back to the front .First,we do the auto molding for the IC of QFN or QFP or even SOT to win some customers for package and testing who design the IC,then when the company run well,I could start to recruit some top for the IC design and verify to do the design,then I could get the help of the wafer company to make the die for me.Then the whole company could run .
I think that might be a rosy view of your prospects. I would line up those customers before investing large sums of money. I can't imagine how you plan to do that.

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
First,we do the auto molding for the IC of QFN or QFP or even SOT to win some customers for package and testing who design the IC,
If these potential customers are having their IC's manufactured by some foundry, why wouldn't they use the foundry's assembly and test facilities?

If they're manufacturing the IC's themselves, they'd have already invested in assembly and test capabilities.

So, who are your potential customers?

davidzhao

Joined Apr 2, 2024
If these potential customers are having their IC's manufactured by some foundry, why wouldn't they use the foundry's assembly and test facilities?

If they're manufacturing the IC's themselves, they'd have already invested in assembly and test capabilities.

So, who are your potential customers?
There is many new customer ,we need to extend their business for the ICs.That is the potential customers.

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
At the point of die-bonding and plastic molding most of the IC production has been completed. Packaging dies already made is not even close to producing integrated circuits. And why jump into that part of the business when others are already selling the completed product???

Alec_t

Joined Sep 17, 2013
We start from the back to the front .First,we do the auto molding for the IC of QFN or QFP or even SOT to win some customers for package and testing who design the IC
Do you think established businesses would trust their reputations to moulding and testing done by a start-up business? I think it's unlikely.

BobTPH

Joined Jun 5, 2013
I actually have experience with IC testing software. I ported a testing language (variant of basic) from Data General Nova to PC Windows. How do you propose to create testing software? Do you expect to get the test programs from the customer or write them yourself? In what language? These are not trivial programs.

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
I have designed and programmed testers for products that are not IC devices, but mostly components of other larger assemblies. Testing any sort of IC is orders of magnitude more challenging if it is to be done in a cost effective manner. How can a start-up hope to offer anything better than others. This is not an area for beginners.

Last edited:

davidzhao

Joined Apr 2, 2024
From what you have said above,it is better for me to find a company to work first to know the details and organize the talent people and then start the business by myself.I thought it is a long term determination.

DickCappels

Joined Aug 21, 2008
Do you realize that there are silicon foundries? These are companies that take your design and make the integrated circuit. I have not messed with one of these for about a quarter of a century but I was able to get it done with one engineer and a consultant to design the clock system. We gave them the files describing the circuit (CMOS) and they delivered chips already tested and in leaded plastic packages.

It might be a good way to start. It worked for us.

To start making an integrated circuit (IC), you will typically begin with the design phase. Here are the general steps you would follow:

1. **Define the Requirements**: Understand the purpose and specifications of the IC you want to create.

2. **Design the Circuit**: Create a schematic diagram of the circuit, specifying the components and their connections.

3. **Simulate the Design**: Use simulation software to test the functionality of the circuit and ensure it meets the requirements.

4. **Layout Design**: Create a physical layout of the circuit components on the IC chip, considering factors like size, power consumption, and signal integrity.

5. **Fabrication**: Once the layout is finalized, the IC design is sent for fabrication in a semiconductor manufacturing facility.

6. **Testing and Verification**: After fabrication, the ICs are tested to ensure they function correctly and meet the specifications.

7. **Packaging**: The ICs are packaged to protect them and provide connections for external use.

8. **Quality Control**: Perform quality control checks to ensure the ICs meet the required standards.

Each of these steps requires specialized knowledge and tools, so it's essential to work with a team of experts in IC design and fabrication.

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
To start making an integrated circuit (IC), you will typically begin with the design phase. Here are the general steps you would follow:

1. **Define the Requirements**: Understand the purpose and specifications of the IC you want to create.

2. **Design the Circuit**: Create a schematic diagram of the circuit, specifying the components and their connections.

3. **Simulate the Design**: Use simulation software to test the functionality of the circuit and ensure it meets the requirements.

4. **Layout Design**: Create a physical layout of the circuit components on the IC chip, considering factors like size, power consumption, and signal integrity.

5. **Fabrication**: Once the layout is finalized, the IC design is sent for fabrication in a semiconductor manufacturing facility.

6. **Testing and Verification**: After fabrication, the ICs are tested to ensure they function correctly and meet the specifications.

7. **Packaging**: The ICs are packaged to protect them and provide connections for external use.

8. **Quality Control**: Perform quality control checks to ensure the ICs meet the required standards.

Each of these steps requires specialized knowledge and tools, so it's essential to work with a team of experts in IC design and fabrication.
I described those steps to these folks long ago. The details had no effect that was mentioned. Then MUCH LATER it was mentioned that they might just start packaging manufactured dies obtained from somewhere.
It appears that the TS already knows vastly more than we know. It seems that they are already experts in the field, from their responses. Why ask me about things they are experts at??