If the universe is expanding...

BMorse

Joined Sep 26, 2009
<snip>
i just bought a hawking book, and another newer physicist whose name escapes me at the moment....i read about this type of thing for fun :D

im a nerd.

Thats funny you mention that, because right after the show I watched, a Stephen Hawking's show came on.... I did'nt watch it, but I guess he was explaining how the universe works..... should have got it on the DVR....

B. Morse

Markd77

Joined Sep 7, 2009
Don't panic. We are 25000 light years from the centre of the galaxy and we are in a nice orbit around it that takes 25 million years for one rotation.

Not sure if you can get it over there but we have a good program called the Sky at Night which has been on every month since about when TV was invented with the same presenter. He's so old that he wears a monacle!

retched

Joined Dec 5, 2009
....I wear a monocle.....

Well if you whipper-snapz wanna go, BRING IT ON.

I have been fighting gravity for a long time, and I am winning.

As for the black holes, I have also wondered about this black hole / white hole thing.

We are on the inside of a HUGE human-like being. This universe is like the puss and oils that get formed into a zit. Just to be popped onto the mirror of time at the peak of our existence.

CVMichael

Joined Aug 3, 2007
Well, I did not read 100% of all the posts in this thread, but I was surprised not to see anything about quantum physics...

Before I say my opinion about the original question "If the universe is expanding...", let me introduce you to a few more ideas:

What about the Double Slit Experiment ?
Why does an electron choose where to go when it's being observed ?

If matter is a wave function being everywhere at the same time, and when we observe we set in place where matter is (and how), then it means that we are creating our own universe just by being here, just by observing. See this for a more visual representation of what I just said.

Now add to that quantum entanglement.
Let me quote "Dr. Qantum" from the clip: "... and since everything was entangled at the moment of the Big Bang, that means everything is still touching. Space is just a construct that gives the illusion that there are separate objects."

That is a powerful thing to hear, take your time to understand the implications of that... re-read that quote if you have to...

To me that means that everything is information, and we as observers (as beings / as souls) are the only "real" things in the universe.

So now back to the original question: "If the universe is expanding..."

I guess I will answer it with more questions:
Does it matter what happens ?
Will we choose what will happen to it ?

What really is expanding is the information.

Regardless of the outcome, we can always make another one to observe. (or an infinite # of universes)

You should watch What the bleep do we know, and also What the bleep do we know? Down the rabbit hole.

Last edited:

lendo1

Joined Apr 24, 2010
I saw that video in my physics class, and it seems to be focusing on philosophy more than actual science. Interesting video, but very deceptive to most of the students in my class who now have created many silly hypotheses about why the electron avoided the scientists...

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
Current science resembles philosophy a lot. Enough so that some folks have trouble telling the difference. I've yet to hear a good explanation of quantum entanglement. I understand the concept, but what is the underlying cause? I get the feeling most physicists don't have a clue, it just is. Whatever it is, does it transfer information FTL?

retched

Joined Dec 5, 2009
I think the valence bonds work like an "internet" and a transformer.

The changes on the primary change on the secondary and the dark matter between everything keeps it all connected via "networking"

OR Electrons are just another organism or plant that is not carbon based.

Just as humans can spread disease among other humans with airborne, sexual, and physical interactions, electrons can spread whatever it is that they communicate with or affects them to each other.

BMorse

Joined Sep 26, 2009
here is a thought to ponder:
They say we have a black hole in the middle of the milky way that is slowly sucking everything in, and others say that it seems as if the universe is expanding , what if the universe is not expanding, we are just getting sucked in to the black hole that is why it seems as if everything is expanding, in reality, everything is at a standstill and we are moving away from it all....

CVMichael

Joined Aug 3, 2007
The black hole is in the middle of our galaxy, and our galaxy is VERY small compared to the universe, to put in perspective, it is like a grain of sand on this planet (or possibly even smaller).

They detected that the universe is expanding by looking at the distances between Galaxies...

So even if our black hole is attracting our planet closer to it's center it won't make any difference to other Galaxies around us...

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
Faster Than Light.

You need to read more SciFi!

My personal interpretation of the double slit experiment is basically the multiple universe scenario. If you have an open ended event (no observation) several universes can overlap (which is a quantum wave function), when you pin it down the wave function collapses and they can't. Not that my interpretation means squat.

Last edited:

bradstormer

Joined Aug 6, 2010
i'm no physics expert, just a guy who read a few books but from what i have read there seem to be a few discrepancies in information. some say the universe will reach an equilibrium of the forces of gravity and "dark energy" and the universe will stop expanding. others say that the universe will either keep expanding and fizzle out or contract to a big crunch.
personally i believe that it will find a point of equilibrium. although i dont believe that it will remain static. i think that there is a kind of universal weather system at play. where the galaxies are like clouds and the forces such as gravity and dark energy are like pressure systems.
this could explain why physicists noticed the universe expansion slowing down then speeding up again. maybe it was just our cluster of galaxies moving.
just my theory tho. call it the storm theory!!